8531 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Size of disk inside an array

Mangin_1
Occasional Advisor

Size of disk inside an array

Hi,

A question concerning the real size in an array.
I have two logical drives in the same array.
First logical drive is composed of 3 disks of 18 GB and second logical drive has 3 disks of 36 GB.

Controller is Smart Array 5i.

If I replace my disks of 36 GB with some new of 150 Gb, do will I have a new unsused space on my array (on logical drive 2) ?

Or the question is :
By what the size of the disks are defined ? By the smaller disk in the array or by the smaller disk inside a same logical drive ?

Thanks for your answer
Patrick Mangin
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Limitation is by smallest physical disk drive in the disk drive array (group of disks). A disk drive array can hold multiple logical disks of different sizes and RAID levels.
Mangin_1
Occasional Advisor

so if I understand well, in my case I will always have 5 x 18 Gb, whatever the size of new 3 disks I change.

I ask this because the Hp support said that the
size of the logical drive 2 should be 300 Gb, so the size of the logical drive is drive by the size of the smallest phsical disk in the logical drive and not driven by the size of the smallest physical disk in the array ....

What is the truth ?
Patrick Mangin
generic_1
Respected Contributor

I would agree with UWE on your question. also if you are going to the expense of an array, make sure and run something better than Raid 0 :) for your data's safety.