1751781 Members
4271 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 221 and Ultra Wide 3 SCSI

Daniel Heimburg
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array 221 and Ultra Wide 3 SCSI

Hello, I wonder if Smart Array 221 is compatible with Ultra Wide 3 SCSI disks. (340852-011 Compaq 9.1 GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 10,000 rpm Hard Drive (1 inch)).

I have tried it, and the array says in the POST "wide scsi transfer failed".

Any help appriciated.

Daniel Heimburg
4 REPLIES 4
Mark_601
Frequent Advisor

Re: Smart Array 221 and Ultra Wide 3 SCSI

Daniel,

According to the supported options list for this controller, Compaq 9.1 GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 10,000 rpm Hard Drives are supported.
However, I did find some info about the post error "wide scsi transfer failed" that says it could be a cabling problem (bent pins or seating) or by some solder joints that were bridged on the back of the Fast- WideSCSI Pass-Through Board. Check all cable connections and inspect for any bent or missing pins.If the pass-through board is the problem it will have to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark
Daniel Heimburg
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
Thanks for the information..
I've tried to switch cables, same results, I even tried to switch to another controller (onboard). The controller finds the drives, however when I tries to do any datatransfers etc, linux reports "data parity errors" and wont connect the drive(s). So it does look like some error on my SCA board.

Any further suggestions/response are welcome!

Daniel Heimburg
Daniel Heimburg
Occasional Contributor

Hello again,
Problem resolved, it was a mashed pig in the one of the 4 hotswap inputs, tried to correct it but it seems beyond fixable. Atleast I got it work with two drives, separating the mashed pig.

Thank you all for helping!

Daniel Heimburg
Mark_601
Frequent Advisor

Daniel,

Glad you found the problem. I thought it might be something like that. Do you have a warrany or hardware support contract? You can get that part replaced.

Regards,

Mark