1748199 Members
2582 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6400 Array Expansion Issue

Joono

Smart Array 6400 Array Expansion Issue

Hello,

I first did some searches around the ITRC forums but couldn't find the answer that I was looking for.

I have HP ML350 G4P server with Smart Array 6400 with BBWC kit installed. It is connected to an external disk cage where it currently has 3x 146GB SCSI disks in RAID5 format. I wanted to expand the array's capacity so I added another 146GB disk and I was able to see the Unassigned Drive via ACU. But for some reason, I don't get the "Expand Array" option anywhere. The only option I get is to create a new array.

Should SA6400 with BBWC be able to expand the existing array on the fly?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

> Should SA6400 with BBWC be able to expand the existing array on the fly?

in the HP Smart Array 6400 Series Controllers User Guide it states:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00574141/c00574141.pdf

"You can add hard drives to a system at any time, as long as you do not exceed the
maximum number of drives that the controller supports. You can then either
build a new array from the added drives or use the extra storage capacity to
expand the capacity of an existing array.
To perform an array capacity expansion, use ACU. If the system is using hotpluggable
drives, you can expand array capacity without shutting down the
operating system (that is, with the server online) if ACU is running in the same
environment as the normal server applications. (For more information, refer to
the HP Array Configuration Utility User Guide.)"

you'll find the HP Array Configuration Utility User Guide here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00709035.pdf
Unix operates with beer.
Joono

Victor,

Thanks for your response.

I ready the same PDF and it seems like SA6400 with BBWC is capable of doing the array expanding on the fly, and I currently have only 3 drives so it can't be the maximum number of drives either.

I'm just puzzled to see why that option is not available via ACU. Since it's a production database server, I can't shut it down w/o an approval to see if the option becomes available when I run ACU before OS runs.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

You won't get the option to expand/migrate is the BBWC has failed or not fully charged.

It may depend on the firmware version as well. 2.84 seems to be the latest.

Joono

Since I don't see any alert messages on ACU when I click on the array controller, it seems like the BBWC is not an issue. But I will run the latest firmware DVD (I think v9.1 is the latest) and see if it resolves the issue.