108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 6402 - Media errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roland Doerig_1
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 6402 - Media errors

can you tell me, where i can check with the hp tools (for example acu) if my hd-drives have media-errors?

i know, that in netraid-tools was a possibility to check this statistics, but in the new tools i don't find them.
4 REPLIES 4
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Smart Array 6402 - Media errors

Hello Roland,

pls get hold of the ADU (Array Diagnostic Utility). That utility is capable of providing lots of details about each disk in your array.

HTH

Kris

Roland Doerig_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your reply. If i'm right ADU is to be used with the smartstart-cd. is there an other possibility to check the drive statistics from a running windows-server? for example with insight manager?

thank you for helping me in this case
roland
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hello Roland,

the ADU does run online under Windows but apparently does not support the newer 64xx controllers (yet ??).

I tried it on a DL360 G3 and it works fine for the SA5i under W2K3.
Also tried it on a ML370 G3 with SA532 and SA6402 under W2K, this one however only works fine for the SA532 but it does not find the SA6402 apparently, sorry was not aware. The SA6402 is properlty working and detected by the ACU utility so all necessary drivers are loaded, that does not seem to be the problem.

Here is the online ADU if it's still usefull to you:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15125.html

Anyhow (untill their is a newer version), all disks have a Self Monitoring feature on them as you might know (S.M.A.R.T.) and the Windows eventlog or your management station (if used) will trigger you if the threshold has been crossed, you only need to make sure that you loaded the server management agents onto your servers.
A disk can tolerate a certain predefined number of bad blocks on its media and will self repair them during its lifetime(sparing bad blocks with reserved good blocks). Untill that threshold is not crossed your disk is considered as good. It depends on the capacity (GBytes)of the disk and the speed at which the number of bad blocks increases before the disk controller logic declares it as bad.

There is also a utility in the server agents
under Start\Programs\HP Server Agents\Event Notifier Config via which you can configure email notifications if certain disk (and many other) related events take place.

regards,Kris
Roland Doerig_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your detailed answer. That was exactly what i was searching for!

An other possibility i have found, is using the "System Management Homepage". There you also see the Drive-Statistics.

Thank you again for your help.

Wish you an good week.
Roland