1748145 Members
3510 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6404/256

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Smart Array 6404/256

I just put a smart array 6404/256 into my rp3440-4 server. It is connected to an MSA30 D-B that has 12 72GB 15kb hard drives. I have six drives on each side and they are connected to two of the four channels on the smart array. The six drive on the first channel are stripped and mirrored to the second channel.

The main function of the server is to take care of our accounting, payroll and taxes. We use Informix with IFAS. Most of the space for the database is in RAW form.

My question is looking at the smartarray controller at the Cache Ratio. Right now it is set for 50% Read / 50% Write. Since most of my data is RAW would it make a difference if I increase the Read to 75%? The reason I am asking this question is that it seems that when the server is compleatly loaded some of my users are not able to login to IFAS or to move between screens. It was taking some of them almost 60 seconds which is too slow.

Thanks for any help you can give.
2 REPLIES 2
Harald_8
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

You can change de Read/Write Cache but i think that if you experience slow performance you should examin what realy is the bottleneck.
Give me some more information so i could give u some more information.

Which StripeSet do you you within teh Database? Wich do you use in de Raid? Which Raid are you using? What is the CPU Utilization? How many Memory does Your Server have? How many Memory ist Used / Swapped?

Greetings
Harry
Harald Haitsma
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

Harald,

I have setup the Smart Array at the RAID level of 1+0 with the strip size of 8kb. The size of the RAID is 416761MB. I have one 1GHz PA-8800 dual core CPU and 4GB RAM with 20% going to swap space.

Can I ask another question about the Smart Array or do I need to open a new call? This question is more of a hardware question. I purchased the Smart Array 6404/256 SCSI controller. I thought it would have 256MB RAM. When I use the sautil utility I get the following information.

---- ARRAY ACCELERATOR (CACHE) INFORMATION -----------------------------------

Array Accelerator Board Present?.... yes
Cache Configuration Status.......... cache enabled
Cache Ratio......................... 50% Read / 50% Write
Total Cache Size (MB)............... 128
Read Cache........................ 064
Write Cache....................... 064
Transfer Buffer................... 000
Battery Pack Count.................. 2
Battery Status (pack #1)............ ok
Battery Status (pack #2)............ ok

What do I need to do to get more cache on the card?