Disk Enclosures
1748171 Members
4456 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P410 firmware update from 3.50 to 6.64?

madsmaks
Advisor

The controller is installed in a bespoke server and the drives are contained in a Startech Mini SAS SFF-8087 to 4 x 2.5" SATA/SAS 5.25in Hot Swap Backplane. The same issue occurs is the drives are connected directly to the controller.

Anyway, I have finished my investigation and can now report that any firmware of 5.xx and above for the HP Smart Array P410 Controller when used with an Intel S5520HC Server Board will not allow the system to boot. I have reverted back to firmware version 3.66.

All I have to do now is return the repaired server to the client's site and swap their drives out of the loan server.

Thanks for your help, Torsten.

Jon

kk102

Hi Madsmarks/John,

How did you manage to revert firmware to a previous version while HP Smart Array controller halts booting process and does not allow to boot from any media? Did you remove the controller and put to a different computer where it doesn't stop booting process? Or maybe you know any other way to revert firmware to a previous installed version?

Unfortunatelly I have exactly the same problem with P400 controller. It was booting fine  in a HP Desktop dx7800  with Windows 7 prof. and worked with firmware v 4.6. Performance was poor and it was saying that firmare update is highly recommended. So I upgraded firmware to ver 7.22 that came with Smart Update Firmware DVD. ver. 9.30.

The upgrade  have "bricked" one controller. Beeing naive and thinking this is a bug in version 7.22 I took another P400 controller and updated the firmware to version 7.24  with exactly the same result. Each controller stopped to boot after an initialization, no matter what the configuration was (tried all options: with/without disks, with/without BBC, etc).

Looks like HP deliberately killed the second life of their P4xx controllers in not-Proliant servers with a newer firmware! 

Anyway, if you know any magic to revert firmware in a P4xx controller that stops booting process - I would greatly appreciate a hint.

Chris

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you try this?

The "select boot volume" came with newer firmware versions.

https://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3454575&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04135224

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
xmms
Occasional Visitor

hi kk102,

I had made P410 bricked , too.

My conclusion is : DO NOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE IF YOU ARE USING SMART ARRAY WITH NON-HP BOARDS.

My P410 was pulled out from Un-used DL380G7 , and ran with supermicro X9SRL-F-O for several days. This card was not used for a long time, and I found the firmware was so old (FW 3.3).  So, stupidly, I decided to upgrade firmware from 3.3 to 6.64.

Upgrade had done on windowns server 2012R2 with no error. but, once I rebooted the server, the server repeats rebooting forever. POST, Initialise P410, CRASH, RESET, POST, Init P410, CRASH, RESET..... I tyied to boot from USB-Flash, but nothing was changed,

I tested this briked P410 on several boards, mostly supermico, X8-1366-DP board, X9-2011-DP board, X9-1155-UP board,  and some old ASUS board, but result was all same except ASUS (ancient LGA775) P5BV-M (not P5B-VM) . I don't know why, but P5BV-M was able to boot and recognise P410 with FW 6.64.

I also tested this P410 with HP ML110 G6 and ML350p gen8 servers,  but they had NO problems at all. 

By this result, newer firmware has some compatibility issues for general hardware  (or kicked out non-hpe servers?). My suggestion is: If it ainтАЩt broke, donтАЩt fix it

thanks,

kiwistag

This is about the closest post I've come to a dielemma I'm having.

After going from v3.x on a P212 and 5.x on a P410i, when I have cache modules in either, I get a 0x14 error that the controller locked up. This happens after a while. Yes I'm running ESXi 6.5 on a dl380 G6, however until I upgraded the firmware the p410 was perfect..
Trying to get older firmware to test on the p212 is near impossible as some of the URL's pointing to it on the site don't work.

I upgraded the p212 firmware mainly as it wouldn't see 3TB disks.
I have 2x dl380 g7's coming in a week and hope I don't have to touch the firmware on these...

ColinMA_42
Occasional Advisor

Did you every figure out this issue?  I am having the exact same problem with my G6.  Flashed 410i to 6.64 to allow 3TB drives and I get a 0x14 lock-up every so often.

I am planning to move this storage away from the G6, but it's not going to happen for a while...

Have you tried downgrading to an earlier BIOS revision?

Moucceu
Occasional Visitor

The same trouble. After updating my p410i to 6.64 version only clean ESXi 6.5 can work fine. I can`t log in ESXi managment page. After reboot i see RAID error 0x14. Not customized HP image neither ESXi 6.5 + oflline bundle doesn`t work. HP DL 360G6. RAID array 5 consists of 7 300MB SAS + 1 online spare. 

After install offline bundle i`m getting (previous error code 0x14). Thanks God that clean ESXi 6.5 still can work so problem is customized HP raid driver.

BIOS is newest.