Disk Enclosures
1747997 Members
4343 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

SmartArray 2P Controller issue after Linux!

Wesley Fielder

SmartArray 2P Controller issue after Linux!

I have a Compaq 2500 server with a SmartArray 2P Controller Card. The array has 4 drives setup with Raid5. I followed the directions on http://www.cpqlinux.com and was able to install RedHat Linux without any problems. When the server rebooted however, the SmartArray 2 bios stopped showing up after the processor detection and the OS wouldn't boot. I then popped the SS 4.90 and tried the SS 5.50 SCU's from CD to see what's going on. The System Partition still showed on the array but it was foobared. so I system erased, and still the bios for the array wouldn't show up. I can see the array controller through the SS CDs and I can configure the array but it will not let me put the system partiton back on the array. I get a fixed disk error. If I take the array cage and plug all of the array drives to the interal scsi I can see them, fdisk the mbr, install and OS and boot without problems. If I then take it and hook it back up to the array controller, I am back to where I can't do anything. What could have happened from installing RedHat that would disable the array bios on bootup and stop me from writing the System Partiton? Is there a way to reset all this? System Erase doesn't work for this. Also, the ADU detects nothing wrong with the Array controller or the drives. I was able to even re-flash the firmware on the array controller with success! Any ideas?