5735 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Steps of installing and configuring EVA4000

rana786
Regular Advisor

Steps of installing and configuring EVA4000

Hi all,

Can anyone help me for installing EVA4000 (2C1D)with 20x300gb disks in a SAN environment. What is the most efficient and optimised way of configuring it. Although it depends on the requirement but I need the most optimised configuration. Please help.

Rana
Walker_dhk
13 REPLIES 13
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

As you can only use 14 disks in your EVA (1 Disk Shelf = 14 Disks).
I would suggest 1 disk group with all 14 disks in it.
As far as I am aware this may be the only option as I believe you require a minimum of 8 disks to create a disk group.
rana786
Regular Advisor

Thanks. What will be the best redundancy during creating vdisk? Is it vraid 1,5 or 0?
Please reply.
Rgds,
Rana
Walker_dhk
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

VRAID 1 would offer the best redundancy but utilises the most amount of available space. (2 x Vdisk Size)

VRAID 5 would offer reasonable redundancy and would utilise Vdisk Size plus about 20%)

VRAID 0 offers No Redundancy and utlises the size of the vdisk only.
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
I take it that even though the EVA mentioned is 2C1D that you will be getting a 2nd disk enclosure?

The enclosures are only the price of 2 disks and would mean that your application would be spread over 20 disk spindles instead of 14.

Having more disks means more performance and more usable capacity.

Make 1 disk group, make your vdisks vraid5, load balance your application vdisks across your fibre channel controllers where possible, increase your scsi queue depth if possible.

Good luck.
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
rana786
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

Which protection level best fit for this scenerio? Does Protection level none protect any data?

Rgds,
Rana
Walker_dhk
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

Disk group protection level affects the amount of unallocated disk capacity.

Single - 2 HDD(largest capacity) is resevered
Double - 4 HDD space largest capacity) is resevered
None - No HDD space reserved

Note:
The failure protection level of a DG does not impact the occupancy level
of its constituent disk drives.
Protection level provides the room for the rebuild to happen.
i would suggest single protection level should be fine
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
rana786
Regular Advisor

Hi all,
What will be the impact of one hard disk failed if I configure protection level none? Please help.
Rgds,
Rana
Walker_dhk
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

If you have a DPL of none and a disk fails, as long as you have enough unallocated storage to enable to disk to migrate to then you will be OK.

I would not recommend this though - the purpose of the DPL is to reserve space for this purpose.
This is to ensure you do not get into a situation where you do not have any available space to accomodate a data migration caused by a failed disk.

I have never had this happen but I assume that if a disk fails and there is no space for the data migrate to then you would be OK, if you had another disk failure during this time in the same disk group you would lose the disk group entirely.. I may be wrong on this.. so wait for someone to confirm/Deny.
rana786
Regular Advisor

Hi all,
One more thing, how many IPs do I need to configure EVA4000 in a SAN environment?
Rgds,
Rana
Walker_dhk