SOLVED
Go to solution
gigiz
Valued Contributor

Storage MSA30

Hi guys,
i have a question !!?
I have 2 storage 1 MSA1000 and 1 MSA30.
I want know if i can take a MSA1000's disk and put them into MSA30 ?
HELP ME !!!!!
6 REPLIES 6
spex
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Storage MSA30

Hi,

Short answer: Yes, but you will lose the data stored on the MSA1000.

Long answer:

The MSA30 is a drive enclosure, while the MSA1000 is a disk array with basic SAN capabilities (it's actually an MSA500 with SAN components swapped in). While both are capable of RAID, the MSA30 requires an external disk controller or RAID software (e.g. HP StorageWorks) for this, while the MSA1000's on-board controller(s) will accomplish this.

Both devices take the same types of disks, so the disks themselves are directly compatible. However, disks in the MSA1000 are members of a RAID set, and its on-board controller stores RAID mapping information in NVRAM, so your data will not survive the transfer. This is true even if the MSA30's disks are part of a RAID set through an external controller or software, as the controllers themselves are different, which would prevent NVRAM from being transferred.

MSA30 QuickSpecs:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11738_na/11738_na.html

MSA1000 QuickSpecs:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11033_na/11033_na.html

PCS

gigiz
Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot,
Another Question !!!
I lose also the data on the MSA1000 and not the data on the MSA30 ? True?
freddy_21
Respected Contributor

yes correct. your data in msa30 will be safe.
spex
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As long as you are careful, you won't lose data on the MSA30 enclosure.

If you're doing hardware or software RAID on the MSA30, be sure to include the new disks in the set.

PCS
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I want know if i can take a MSA1000's disk and
> put them into MSA30 ?

Yes, as long as you connect the MSA30 to the MSA1000 before you power it on again you will still have access to your data ;-)

On the other hand, you can take a disk drive array from a SmartArray controller and put it into the MSA1000 (called DtS - DAS to SAN). That is possible, because the configuration information is also stored on the disk drives.

The other way round, as spex wrote, is not supported and might not even work (never tried it).
gigiz
Valued Contributor

ok