1752780 Members
6256 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks Disk Subsystem 2100(DS2100) Problems

Chris O
Frequent Advisor

StorageWorks Disk Subsystem 2100(DS2100) Problems

We have a number of DS2100's on several different model HP 9000 HP-UX systems. We had problems with strange drive errors on one awhile back. After trying the interface board, cable, and one of the drives, we replaced the complete DS2100 chassis with an exchange from HP and kept the same drives. This resolved the problem. We now have a second one showing the same symptoms. The error logs show many errors and drives even disappear intermittently. Is there something inherently wrong with the DS2100 chassis? Could it have been a bad batch since the two that have failed were purchased around the same time? Thank you, Chris

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Disk Array. - HP Forum Moderator

10 REPLIES 10
Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: StorageWorks Disk Subsystem 2100(DS2100) Problems

Hi Chris,

we have two 2100 also and seems when the server that the unit is attached to is re-booted we are getting simliar errors ..
ie Disks missing from raid util disks giving weiard spin down errors.
At what point were these units purchased ?

May be the same batch or just faulty units.

We logged many calls with HP but all they can tell us is that they havent seen to many of these units out in the field.

Ronnie
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

I am facing similar type of problem which you have faced about DS2100. used with L2000 system. Previous administrator came across an issue about failure of a disk drive ( SCSI ID 2 - second slot from front left ) Hence he ordered to two disks , each of 36GB LVD 10k U320 Drive.
First new disk drive got configured properly with creation of a vg and a lvol. Thereafter as per requirement of software guy, he tried to recreat the new vg with that disk , but he couldn't saying some SCSI problem. Then he tried to use second new disk which is constantly giving SCSI reset errors. Hence he couldn't use both the disk. Thereafter I took over. I removed all vg configuration from the lvm database and device files. First disk is not getting detected at all and second disk giving SCSI errors saying SCSI Reset SCSI Unhandled interrupt. Hence I am doubting the slot or mid-plane assembly or BCC. I am gonna open the DS and check it tomorrow. Just wanted to have feedback from you. Can you tell more about mid-plane and BCC or chassis and you got your issue resolved? Who was the culprit in your case?

Mario_66
Valued Contributor

Hi,

there have been some problems with DS2100 storage as far as I can remember. Sometimes problems have been caused by bad cables, sometimes with old disks FW and sometimes with enclosure. Please, contact your HP support and provide following information:

enclosure S/N, P/N of the cables including FCI number and disks FW. Also attach syslog which sometimes can be very large, especialy if the SCSI resets and disconects occur very frequently. There are some SCSI sequences that can point us to the right direction.

Best regards,
Mario.
Chris O
Frequent Advisor

The replacement DS2100 arrived this morning and was installed. Everything else is original including the drives. The SA is doing some data restores to give it a workout. The information for the original DS2100 is: DS2100, A5675-62001, SG24850380 0248 Rev. 05, A5675AD. I'll keep everyone posted. Here is a link to an interesting document concerning transfer rates when using these types of chassis. http://docs.hp.com/en/J6373-90001/ch04s03.html In our case, an Ultra160 interface and drives are being used so there should not be a problem from a transfer rate standpoint. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find. If the chassis solves the problem, I am going to exchange the original so I have a spare on hand.
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

Hi,

S/N SG24850380 is old enough and can be the cause of your problem. I assume that you have a valid contract with HP. Please, contact your HP support and point them to the HP service note A5675A-09. Before any action, it should be sure that you have correct cables and disks FWs are up-to-date. Also, like I said last time, syslog should be analyzed, because there are some SCSI sequences that can help in problem solving.

Regards,
Mario.
Chris O
Frequent Advisor

We haven't had a contract with HP in years. Our management deemed it too expensive. One of my main gripes with HP is the service notes do not appear to be available unless we have a contract. The same goes for the diagnostic password. I'd appreciate it if someone would please send me a copy of the service note. It is hard to justify future purchases of HP-UX equipment when we run into these type of known problems that we are blind to because of the service note situation. So far the logs are clean with the replacement DS2100 installed. If they stay that was for the rest of the week, I'll exchange the original DS2100 with HP. Thanks for the help. Chris
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Today I tested the original drive which was decleared faulty by previous SA in another working slot ( ID 4 ) . I just ran dd and diskinfo on that drive, it worked normal!!!!!
I am sure that this drive can be used with LVM. I tested my new drive ( A6571A ) as well and it worked too....

Now it's pretty sure that the slot ( ID 2 ) is giving trouble.. I would be inspecting the backplane and BCC tomorrow...
I doubt about if one can order chassis, controller separatly???

I will keep on posting the results..

Mario,
I need to read the HP service note which you have specified and would like to know about SCSI sequences interpretation for scsi error
which i have attached in my previous reply. I would appretiate the same...
Chris O
Frequent Advisor

It seems now we are having problems ordering parts from HP. We are being told we have to be authorized or something. I've been working on HP equipment for 20 years. We have always been able to order anything we need. Can someone please tell me who we need to talk to to get this straightened out? We would be more than happy to discuss what is needed. Thank you, Chris
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

I am sorry, but I have been told that it is not allowed to publish content of the service notes in this forum.

I do not see why you would not be able to order any parts from HP. Try with another reseller.

BTW, I think that you can contact HP and place an order for service action without active contract.

Best regards,
Mario.