New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sun Storage on HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Sun Storage on HP-UX

Hi,
Is it possible to connect the Sun Storage arrays on HP-UX and access the data ?? [Array model - T3ES and A5200 ]. If yes which class of HP-UX system these arrays can be connected to??. Is it possible to access the Veritas Diskgroups and Filesystems that are created on a Solaris box from hp-ux??. Is there any additional stpes involved for doing this?? Pl. let me know

Thanks
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

T3ES: http://www.sun.com/storage/t3wg/details.html
http://www.sun.com/storage/t3wg/specs.html (supported HBA A5158A, HP-UX 11.0, N- and L-class [and I believe their RP- equivalents])
A5200: (broken links)
I do not think you will be able to mount Sun ux operating system on hpux host. But you can create more LUNs and present them to hpux hosts for new file system creation
Eugeny
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Eugency,

Thanks for the Info. No I don't intend to mount the Solaris OS partition which is generally UFS. But What I wanted to know is, will the LUNs on the storage with VxFS file system that is created from Solaris-Veritas Volume manager be accessible from hp-ux??. Any Idea on this??

Thanx
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I doubt it is possible to acess the volumes and data direct. If you want to try, you should need the Veritas Volume Manager for HP-UX, not HP-UX LVM (Logical Volume Manager which is default in HP-UX).

But you can always acess the data with NFS.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
Perhaps it is possible. I found something about Veritas Volume Manager, it talk about "Cross Platform Management for heterogenous enviroment".

http://www.veritas.com/products/category/ProductKeywordDetail.jhtml?productKeywordId=159&productId=volumemanagerwin
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Leif,

yeah .. obviously.. for accessing Veritas Diskgroups we need Veritas Volume manager. But even with that will it support??. Is base VxVM what we receive with 11.11 can do the job or do we need the full product of it??

Karthik
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have no clear answere, I have not tried myself and it is not easy to find in the Veritas documentation. We have used the Veritas Volume Manager for Solaris but not for HP-UX. HP bundles a limited version of Veritas Filesystem with the OS but not Veritas Volume Manager, HP-UX LVM is a different product.

Perhaps the best way is to contact Veritas.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Why do you want to do this? Even if it did work and I'm doubtful, I'd be more than shocked if this was considered a supported configuration by HP. It would be pretty dangerous.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

Of course it's not supported...

HP-UX does come with a "lite" version of VxVM - perhaps you can try that.

The disk headers are very different between Solaris and HP-UX, so what you want to do may not be possible.

Be sure to backup those filesystems before attempting to access the disks from HP-UX - if HP-UX relabels the drives, you probably will not be able to access them from Solaris again!!!

Be sure to use the same revision filesystem on HP-UX as you have on Solaris, too. And mount the filesystem (if you get as far as VxVM working) as READ-ONLY.

All-in-all, I think it would be faster to use NFS, even if you have a lot of data to move to HP-UX - by the time you get this to work...

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Oops .... I decided not to take risk and suggested the customer to use NFS instead. However, when I get time and some external disk box I would definitely want to try this out ( creating a Veritas DG from solaris and access it from HP and VV )... Thanks for the right suggestion,

Karthik