1751920 Members
5216 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore E Disk Array 12H - extend a LUN

Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

SureStore E Disk Array 12H - extend a LUN

Is it possible to extend a LUN? If so, how?

I can't find documentation (other than MAN) on the 12H.

Thanks,

..Joe
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

No. It would be easier to configure another lun to the 12H, and then add the physical volume to the vg. You could backup the vg, delete the lun, and make a new lun, then restore.
Live Free or Die
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

Like harry said, you cannot resize an existing LUN. you can create a new LUN and add that to your existing VG. To resize and existing LUB, take a backup of the data on that LUN. reduce the VG, create a new bigger LUN, extend the VG and create/extend the LV on this LUN.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
P.S. : Let me see if i can find some documentation on 12H. i'll post that if i find something.

Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

Take a look at the thread below for the manuals available for AutoRAID 12h.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manindex/hpsurestor19162_eng_man.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Thanks. If we want to get the most storage out of the AutoRAID, how does one just force it to stripe. This on a development system, so we're not interested in redundancy. Currently, 56GB is utilized for redundancy and I'd like to reconfigure the AutoRAID to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks,

..Joe
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

In that case, rather than trying to increase the size of an existing LUN (which you can't do); add NEW LUN's to use all the available space. You then add the new LUN(s) to your existing volume group(s). When you create more LUN's that all but about 10% of the space is converted to RAID/5 'on the fly'. At the cost of some redundancy you can also turn 'Active Hot Spare' off.

Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You can stripe the data, but why I ask, because the autoraid is already striping the data. The "LUN" you create is striped across the physical disks within the autoraid.

http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=4c119fa103c8cd4d11/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000041842300
Live Free or Die
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Why not use LVM to extend a LV with another LUN from the 12H. This way you don't need to worry about backing up and restoring data, there is no point in RAID between the LUN's as previously mentioned and the mount point is extended.

The system will only allow you to allocate LUN space if the 12H is able to support all LUN's at 100% and will auto(RAID) the data stored between 0+1 and 5 to provide the best storage possible.

Or are you using Windoze? and can't effectivly extend mount points.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.