1748178 Members
4142 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Swapping servers

Jan-Emil Hoye

Swapping servers

Hi!
I have an LP2000r that will be swapped with a similar server. Both servers have Netraid 2M installed. The original server is setup with RAID1. I would like to transfer the original disks to the new server.
My question is how to do this. Is it possible to take on disk from the old server into to the new one, along with an empty disk and rebuild the RAID1 config? I would like to keep on of the original disks in the old server in case of problems.
What is the best way to do here?
I dont have time for this
2 REPLIES 2
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Swapping servers

If I understand your question correctly, then what you want is really fairly simple. You have 2 disks in server A in RAID 1 (mirror) and 2 disks in server B that are new/blank.
Swap one disk from B to A and let the mirror set rebuild. Swap the second disk from B to A and let the mirror rebuild again. Now you have two identical RAID 1 disk pairs with one pair in each server.
We recently used this process to "clone" a web server.

HTH,
Paul
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Swapping servers

hi

you need first of all to transfer the config of the netraid, with a floppy disk using netraid assistant started from cd-Navigator, or moving both hdd to the second server on wich you have previously cleared any config in the netraid, then restarting the server with the two disk, you will get a MISMATCH CONFIG BETWEEN DISK AND NVRAM, you enter in Ctrl-M > managment menu >view add delete config > you will prompted for choice between disk config or nvram config, you choice DISK and !!SAVE !!,
then you restart, the config will be alligned.
you can now proceed with duplicating hdd data with the rebuild operation suggested before

bye

marino