1752614 Members
4277 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Switching from RAID 0 to RAID 1 on Smart Array

Tom King_4
Occasional Advisor

Switching from RAID 0 to RAID 1 on Smart Array

I have a ML370 currently configured with a single- 72 GB drive as RAID-0. I purchased a 2nd drive and am trying to set it up as RAID-1.

Using the ACU 7.16.2.0, I tried to add this drive to the array (which succeeded, by using the express configuration) but there was not an option to configure the RAID level as RAID-1. So now I have two disks that are both RAID-0 and there doesn't appear to be a way to change this- if I choose "Migrate Drive" selecting RAID-1 is not an option for either logical drive. Am I missing something?
5 REPLIES 5
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: Switching from RAID 0 to RAID 1 on Smart Array

Tom,

You missed the option at the time when you added the hdd. Now you have two hdds in RAID 0 so it is not possible to go back to a RAID 1 with those hdds. You're only three options now are to keep running on Raid 0 as is, blow away your raid, recreate RAID 1 and restore from backup or buy a 3rd drive and migrate to RAID 5.

For future reference you hightlight the array you want to either expand or migrate (migrate in your case) then choose the hdd you want to add to the array,

Then when you create your logical drive you change the raid status. I believe you chose Extend Size option which only adds on the space and leaves your raid config the same.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Tom King_4
Occasional Advisor

I didn't see what you are describing was possible in the utility when I added the drive. The logical drive already existed. Am I supposed to hold Ctrl down while selecting both drives?

Are you saying there is now data on that second drive? The OS still only sees the orginal amount of capacity and shows the drive in Disk Management- but it is not formatted. They show up in the ACU as separate logical drives (though are in the same array). Can I clarify- if I were to delete the second drive, there would be data loss? What info could be on there if it's not writing parity? Thanks.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Tom,
If you look at this diagram, even though there is no parity involved, the data gets striped across the drives in a raid 0. http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

So when you added the second hdd and added capacity, you spread the data out over the two hdds. No going back without deleting and recreating the array. Only option is to add another hdd and change raid levels to raid 5.

I just went through the steps and verified those options.. It will also show up as unformatted space in disk manager until you claim it and format it. You can create a new partition or use diskpart from MS to extend your partition.

Greg
Lets Roll!
Tom King_4
Occasional Advisor

Thank you.

I decided to buy a third drive and migrate to RAID-5. I put the drive in and it now shows up as in the Array as "unused space". Here's the current config:

Log Drive 1 69459 MB(RAID-0)
Log Drive 2 69459 MB(RAID-0)
Unused Space 69461 MB

Now, I guess the next step is to Migrate the logical drives to RAID-5. Am I correct that I am to do this one drive at a time? I went through the wizard and this is what it showed after I selected to Migrate Log Drive 1:

Log Drive 1 69459 MB (RAID-5)
Log Drive 2 69459 MB (RAID-0)
Unused Space 34731 MB

I assume that will copy the requisite data to the third drive and when it is complete I can migrate Log Drive 2?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just being careful. Also, again I want to confirm that this will not affect data in any way. (Yes, I have a backup!)

Thanks!
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Tom,

That would be correct! you are almost done.. :)
Lets Roll!