1753523 Members
8529 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Transfer of storage server or controller failure

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Transfer of storage server or controller failure

We have just purchased a Proliant ML 370 server with a 431 Array Controller. It currently has 3 physical disks, and I have configured it to have one disk array, containing one physical disk, as RAID 0 to contain the operating system, and another array, containing two physical disks, as RAID 1, to contain the data.
If I purchase an additional ML370 server as a backup, which also contains a 431 controller, configured with a single physical disk as RAID 0 to contain the OS, would I be able to transfer one or both of the two RAID 1 physical disks containing the data, to the backup server, in the event of failure of the main server, without loss of data.
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

David,

No. The best solution would be to move all 3 hard disks at one time to the backup server.

The array configuration is stored on the hard drives themselves. If your main server failed and you moved only the 2 RAID1 drives to the backup server, then there would be a configuration mismatch. The single RAID0 drive has one configuration and the 2 RAID1 drives have another, and they don't match. This will cause problems.

If you move all 3 drives at one time and disconnect the original 1 RAID0 drive in the backup server, then there is only one configuration.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks.

We are using NT 4.0. Would there not be a problem when moving the RAID 0 disk containing NT to the backup server, i.e. would NT not think it was running on the wrong server (different hardware addresses etc).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

David,

You are absolutely right. You would have to have the same hardware configuration on the backup server.

Another solution would be to purchase a non-hotpluggable hdd and install it internally to the server (using the onboard SCSI controller) and load the OS on it. Do the same for both servers. Then put your data on the RAID drives. They you would be able to move the data drives from one server to another without any problems.

Have a nice day.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Many thanks Mike.