Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

Currently have a server set up with simple mirroring - assume 2 disks, one a mirror of the other. What I'd like to be able to do is to pull one of the disks to keep as a "baseline" (I'd replace it with another blank disk and allow the replication/rebuild) such that if a developer were to screw something up on the server, I could just shut the server down, pull the two current disks and boot off of the "baseline" I kept - sort of a quick restore to a "clean state" if you understand what I mean. Could also use a "saved mirror" as a backup mechanism in this scenario. I tried this on a 6400R with the 3200 controller and was not able to boot off of the "baseline" mirror (occupied the 2nd drive bay with either a fake or a blank disk). Compaq Customer Care says you can't pull a hot drive - have to pull a drive after shutting the machine down, but in the case of a web server, you might not want to shut the machine down to grab a copy. Has anyone else done something similar to what I'm after, successfully restoring a server from a copy/mirror pulled previously? Thanks in advance for any responses.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

What you're trying to achieve is not recommended . Pulling a working drive from the Server could cause data corruption or loss .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

How is that different than a drive dying in the array? If the "death" of a drive in a mirror causes the corruption of the mirror there is no value in purchasing Compaq hotswap drives and Compaq RAID controllers for this purpose.