1753485 Members
4546 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

Currently have a server set up with simple mirroring - assume 2 disks, one a mirror of the other. What I'd like to be able to do is to pull one of the disks to keep as a "baseline" (I'd replace it with another blank disk and allow the replication/rebuild) such that if a developer were to screw something up on the server, I could just shut the server down, pull the two current disks and boot off of the "baseline" I kept - sort of a quick restore to a "clean state" if you understand what I mean. Could also use a "saved mirror" as a backup mechanism in this scenario. I tried this on a 6400R with the 3200 controller and was not able to boot off of the "baseline" mirror (occupied the 2nd drive bay with either a fake or a blank disk). Compaq Customer Care says you can't pull a hot drive - have to pull a drive after shutting the machine down, but in the case of a web server, you might not want to shut the machine down to grab a copy. Has anyone else done something similar to what I'm after, successfully restoring a server from a copy/mirror pulled previously? Thanks in advance for any responses.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

What you're trying to achieve is not recommended . Pulling a working drive from the Server could cause data corruption or loss .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to keep a replicated mirror as a "baseline"

How is that different than a drive dying in the array? If the "death" of a drive in a mirror causes the corruption of the mirror there is no value in purchasing Compaq hotswap drives and Compaq RAID controllers for this purpose.