1753773 Members
5049 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Two adapters on same scsi chain

Antonio_73
Advisor

Two adapters on same scsi chain

Is there any way to attach two adapters to the same scsi chain within a Storageworks 4314R cabinet?
We would like to have two servers, one working and one sleeping, connected to same disks.
Obviously only the working server will mount disks.

Regards,
Tonino
4 REPLIES 4
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As long you make sure that only one server access the disks one time, you can connect so.
You must change the SCSI controller id from default (default is 7). Also check all the SCSI id in the bus so that there is no SCSI id clash.

Regds
TT

It's prefered to have id 6 which has next highest priority on the SCSI bus.
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Antonio_73
Advisor

Hi TT,

the main problem is how to physically connect two different adapters on the same chain with a Storageworks 4314R.

Your explanation is clear, but the problem I have is on practical execution.

Thanks,

Tonino
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The M4314R enclosure has fixed termination, so you need to link from it to the next server. Connect it with a Y-cable or a "TRI-LINK". This server *MUST* have termination disabled!! From there, connect to the second server. Best is to disable termination on its adapter as well and do an external termination.

Honestly, I would forget about this adventure. Keep the 'sleeping' server disconnected. If the primary one stops working - just reconnect the M4314R to the 'sleepy' one and wake it up.
Antonio_73
Advisor

Thanks for the answer.
What about using the last generation of dual I/O modules? HP is very ambiguos describing them: it looks like you may see the same drives from two different adapters. Or not?
Ciao,
Tonino