Disk Enclosures
1753637 Members
6047 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: URGENT!!! MSA1000 FC Controller not working!

Joakim Balevski_3
Occasional Advisor

URGENT!!! MSA1000 FC Controller not working!

Hi all,

We have MSA1000 with 1 FC controller. After MSA boot process everithing is OK /LEDs are green/ except error messages on boot via CLI /see attached file - /.
PROBLEM:
1. We can see WWN of MSA FC controller via SAN SWITCH or HBA
2. LEDs on backplane FC controller, indicating port speed /1G or 2G/ are not online, except status LED /left from FC port/ - GREEN
3. When MSA1000 is booting there are several errors:
<-------------------------------------->
Beginning Surge self-test

Ignore the following message.
PCI Fatal Error! Bus=0 Dev=2 Func=0 Cmd=0x0c Reg=0x1e Err=0x8300
Parsing cache user def 0 nvram.
parse_nvram_data: bad nvram contents parsed.

Checking to see if cache PIC is in locked out state.
Done.

4. When FC fiber bay is inserted the following error appears:
fibre bay:
checksum offset = 45
no world wide name found.
no chassis name found.
ascii id = RA FBR PORT

--------------------------------------

Everything else is OK /we hope!/, we can create UNITS and etc.

All logs and status messages you can find in attached file
11 REPLIES 11
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Joakim,
I have checked a log from one of the MSA1000s I had my hands on and it shows the same 'errors' during startup.

According to your attached file the MSA1000 host port is running FC_AL protocol. Is it possible that you have a hub or a loop switch instead of a fabric switch? Is this a 1 GBit device?
Joakim Balevski_3
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 is connected to IBM TotalStorage SAN Switch F08.
In MSA1000 Service Support manual for Fiber Channel I/O module Link STatus we found that when both LEDs are off a link has not been established since the application of power, initiation of reset, hot-plug of FC I/O, removal of traciever, or hot-plug of tranciever.
We try to replace that FC I/O module with another, but the result was the same.
Another interesting thing in that case is that SAN Switch detect connection on corresponding port, but there is no WWN no Name Table!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Joakim,
it looks to me like the F08 is a rebranded Brocade switch. Can you please get the output of the 'switchShow' command and post is as a .TXT file attachment? If you cut and paste it into the message text all space characters will be collapsed, thank you.
Joakim Balevski_3
Occasional Advisor

That's correct, F08 is rebranded Brocade switch.
See attached file for 'switchshow' result.
Note that on Port 0 we have Emulex HBA attached and on Port 1 - MSA1000 /no WWN visible!!!?/
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Looks like the port does not know if it should become an E_Port or an F_Port. What firmware is loaded on the fibre channel switch? Does it help if you use 'portDisable 1' and then 'portEnable 1' as a short-term workaround?
Joakim Balevski_3
Occasional Advisor

When we use 'portDisable 1' and then 'portEnable 1' the result is the same. We still have G-Port on SAN Switch.
We thing that the problem is with providing of WWN NVRAM setting from FC Module to FC Fibre Bay I/O.
Is there some additional commands in MSA1000 for FC port topology setting or MSA1000 factory default reset?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, the MSA is auto-sensing/negotiating. What firmware version is on the switch?
Joakim Balevski_3
Occasional Advisor

SAN Switch OS: v3.1.1b
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That is a pretty recent version. I would try to bring the MSA1000 to the current level of V4.24.

Of course, with a non-working interconnect that is a bit difficult. You can try a direct connection from the server to the I/O module and force the server's fibre channel adapter to run in FC_AL mode so that you can update. Or you can borrow an MSA1000 controller with current firmware und use it to update your controllers. You could also try to upgrade the switch firmware to the latest level.

You have tried a different switch port already?