1752584 Members
4658 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to extend logical drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Unable to extend logical drive

I have recently upgraded the hard drives in a RAID 1 mirror from 9.1's to 36.4 drives. I wish to extend the logical drive due to the new space now available. The problem is I receive an error stating that this is not currently possible when using windows 2000 without the chance of data loss. Is there now a fix for this or is there still a chance data may be lost if the drive is extended ? Also what are the chances of this ? I am using version 2.70.66.0 of the Smart Array Configuration Utility and the firm ware on the 431 controller is 1.02

Do you have any comments or ideas on this ?
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Unable to extend logical drive

There is no work around as of yet, maybe later vers of ACU & SP2 for W2K might have that capability. You can make a good known back up and recreate & reconfigure their server with a bigger logical drive. This is due to Microsoft Windows 2000 Dynamic disks. Please see Microsoft article Q294244 to reference this issue.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Unable to extend logical drive

Microsoft article Q294244 now states that the issue is resolved with SP3 for Windows 2000. Does that mean that I can safely expand a current logical drive in Windows 2000 SP3?