108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to see Hitachi disks using SAM.

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Tyler
Advisor

Unable to see Hitachi disks using SAM.

We have some N-Class running HP/UX 11.0 connected to Hitachi HDS9960 and 7700E in a brocade fabric mode.

The servers are seeing the disks fine. However one of the admins who prefers SAM over command line found that he can't see the disks using SAM. SAM core dumps with a error message.
I have the latest SAM/OBAM patch on the boxes.

I opened a ticket with HP and the support person checked with WTEC and told me that sam doesn't support hitachi. This is surprising since HP resells Hitachi as XP512/256.

Has anyone else experienced similar problem?

Thanks in advance
ven.
16 REPLIES 16
Helen French
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Unable to see Hitachi disks using SAM.

Hi Krishnan,

What you and the HP support saying are right. SAM and HP doesn't support the disk array.

Check this document:

http://us-support3.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=4287d2ea0f6360de0a/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000049196663

HTH,
Shiju

Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Again, apply the patch PHCO_23876 on the server. This patch has solution for some of the SAM - Hitachi issues.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
John Tyler
Advisor

Thanks Shiju. That was a quick response!
I am disappointed with HP's answer.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I am sory to hear that you are disappointed with HP's answer on this one... perhaps I can explain a little.

HP added management features to the XP that the Hitachi version of the hardware does not have. Much of the HP management software uses these extensions, and have a difficult time distinguishing between the Hitachi and the XP, which can cause problems. (They look virtually identical to the OS, except for the extensions)

It's unfortunate you didn't get the XP - the management of the frame is much better than with the Hitachi - which is HP's value-add.

Good luck!

No matter where you go, there you are.
John Tyler
Advisor

Vincent,

Thanks for your response. It's hard to justify the price difference between XP512 and HDS9960 for the "features" which is not used by everyone.

In a multi unix-flavor environment, diskframes are a commodity and HP's approach of trying to force customers to buy HP's disk frames does not go well with buyers particularly when HP's competition from the "sun"ny california flaunts the ability to work in multivendor heterogenous environment without their gotchas.

It becomes a tough management sell with these quirks when it comes to deciding the preferred "unix" vendor.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Ven,

I think you misunderstand... I don't think that HP is trying to "force" anyone into buying an XP by introducing bugs into SAM...

I meant just the opposite - HP tests the XP in HPUX environments. Why test a product (like your Hitachi) that you don't sell? Isn't that Hitachi's problem? The onus is on them to do some testing. Don't blame HP if Hitachi doesn't actually test their product.

Perhaps that's why the Hitachi's cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!
Ziggy Stardust

Have you considered using Hi-Command and Highground? They both work with Hitachi Storage.

A fleeting thought: what value added do I get with XP512 add-ons if I connect an IBM mainframe running zOS or OS390?

Z
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Mainframe value add - similar to Open Systems...

A Secure (SSL) web-based management utility (COmmandView) that integrates performance management, configureation, Business Copy and Continuous Access creation and manipulation all in a single, secure, remotely-managable web console.

But don't trust me - get a hands-on demonstration of the management software from both companies, and judge for yourself. Don't forget the hands-on part... slideware doesn't count.

Ziggy Stardust

Openview doesn't appear to give any value added for z/OS (IBM mainframe) users.

Omniback doesn't run on z/OS, and it doesn't integrate with z/OS in the same way as Harbor or ADSM.

Omnistorage supports z/OS. NOT! Storage Optimiser. Nope! How about Storage Allocater? Na, no luck either.

Looks to me like the HP software offered with XP512 doesn't even know that z/OS exists.

So my question remains unaswered; for z/OS users, where is the value added of an XP over a Lightning 9900?

Z
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2