6028 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unplugging a mirrored disk

Nilton Eliot Medina Ygr
Occasional Advisor

Unplugging a mirrored disk

Hello,
I order to verify the functioning of my servers disks, I am planning to make a simulation. Tis simulation consists of taking off one of the 2 mirrored disks that hold the OS.
They are supossed to be hot spare so I am planning to take off one disk, while the servers are working.
Is there anything I should take care of or is just a matter of unplugging and plugging again?
If something fails ......... no words to explain

Thanks in advance

Nilton Medina Ygreda
SENATI
ima, Per
3 REPLIES 3
john_347
Regular Advisor

Re: Unplugging a mirrored disk

Hi Nilton

If your disks are mirrored, please make sure !! you should have no problems pulling a disk.. The system will still run.. Although you shouldn't just pull disks unless the system gives a pre-emtive failure warning.. something to do with the hot plug count i think, but i've done it..

regards

john
Yaw Eng, Law
Advisor

It's safer to unplug the disk when the server is gracefully shutdown. The issue with unplugging during normal operation is that, certain registry updates might not be flushed into the disk (only retain in memory) until a shutdown is completed.

As such, if a disk is unplug during normal operation, there's a chance (perhaps 1%) that the OS mirror disk might not start-up properly.

The above is made on assumption that the mirroring is SmartArray Raid1, instead of OS-mirroring.
Nilton Eliot Medina Ygr
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all, I guess I'll have to plan very carefully if finally we decide to make this simulation, I'll keep on searching.

Thanks again,

Nilton Medina Ygreda
SENATI
Lima, Per├Г