Disk Enclosures
1752579 Members
3079 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading Integrated Controller (Sanity Check)

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrading Integrated Controller (Sanity Check)

We are currently using an integrated array controller in an ML370 running W2K Server.
Because of some disk write performance issues we wish to utilize a spare 221 Smart Array Controller we have.
From reading various posts in this forum I understand that I initially need to apply the rompaq for the 221 Smart Array Controller (CP000933 from what I can make out).
Once this has been applied I need to shut down the server and physically install the 221 Controller and move the cable from the Integrated Controller to the 221Controller.
Once this has been done I need to power the machine up and press F8 to select the 221 as the boot controller.
Once this is done the Server should boot up as normal and utilize the new 221 controller
I have never performed an upgrade on controllers like this before and would be grateful if anyone has any comments about the way I intend to perform this upgrade.
Any comments much appreciated
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading Integrated Controller (Sanity Check)

Darn... I just wrote a nice explanation, and now it's gone!

Well I'll cut to the chase. If it's a ML370 1ghz or lower- you don't have an intergrated array... you have an intergrated 2 channel scsi card. If this is what you have, to the best of my knowledge, you can't upgrade to an array controller WITHOUT backing up all your data, running a system erase, In smartstart configuring your array, then when the OS is reinstalled you can restore your data.

If you have a 1.13ghz or higher ML370 (carbon colored server), there is an option for the Smart Array 5i, but going to a 221 would be (once again, to the best of my knowledge) a step down.

Any other ideas anyone?

Tom Mucha
tom@ctcomp.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ok... I'm on crack (slap's himself up side the head). Now I remember that all ML370's had the option for the intergrated array controller.

SO yes.... your plan is the way I would do it.
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Everything looks good except for one thing. The Integrated smart array controller uses a different driver from the 221. So what you need to do is install the 221 but leave the scsi cable plugged into the integrated controller. Once in the operating system you would need to install the driver and make sure that it has started. (221-cpqarray.sys). After this then you could proceed to swap the cables and specifying the boot controller order for the 221 as first.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!