108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Use A3312A on Intel H/W

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kim Kendall
Regular Advisor

Use A3312A on Intel H/W

Has anybody found a controller that will work on an Intel platform that will talk to a A3312A disk enclosure (9.1GB FWD drives)?

4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Sure, you need an Adaptec AHA-2944UW. The fundamental problem is that almost everything these days is Low Voltage Differential (LVD) and you need High Voltage Differential (HVD) SCSI.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&prodkey=AHA-2944UW&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+for+Servers

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Kim,
hard drives supplied by HP for Jamaica HASS have HP-developed firmware (HPxx), and this firmware is designed to work with HP-UX hosts.
Eugeny
Kim Kendall
Regular Advisor

Getting conflicting info here... Either I CAN use the box (drives and all) with the HV controller, or I can't.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

It is true that HP installs vendor specific firmware on the drives but that is so that the UNIX boxes will recognize the SCSI ID strings. The drives will still respond to a device inquiry. Most PC's don't have a clue as to what kind of drive they are connected to; they do an inquiry to find out. Your fundamental problem is HVD; fix that and all will be well. If you want further proof, the AutoRAID 12H's can be connected to both UNIX boxes and Windows servers - with the same firmware. I've even connected them to both an HP-UX box and an NT box at the same time (and on the same bus). That works just fine as long as one HBA is left at SCSI ID 7 and the other is changed to 6. Of course, in that case, an individual LUN should only be accessed by one of the boxes.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.