1752577 Members
4912 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA 7100 backup configuration

Bruno Misculin Rosamili
Occasional Advisor

VA 7100 backup configuration

Hi, I have just installed a hp virtual array 7100 on a hp-ux 11.00 system.
I wuold like to know how I can backup the va 7100 configuration and if the command to restore the is "recover".
Thanks in advance.
Ciao
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: VA 7100 backup configuration

Bruno, VA should not fail this way so that you need to restore its configuration because it has very high level data protection and redundancy. Maps (tables which are used to access LUNs) are written to multiple physical disks. Note that in 'Normal perfomance' mode these maps are written each 4 seconds, but in 'high perfomance' mode only on correct VA shutdown. In some cases VA can have multiple disk failures (more redundant than FC60, for example) and data will be accessible. But of course in case of any issues you should act ASAP to keep VA's redundancy.
You can backup volume groups' configuration using vgcfgsave (hpux). I did not hear about tools allowing VA maps backups to 'external' to VA media. But in case you will need to recover VA please use 'vfprecover' (from virtual front panel) or 'armrecover' (from CommandView SDM). Please read documentation carefully before using these commands
Eugeny
Roger_22
Trusted Contributor

Re: VA 7100 backup configuration

Sorry, there is no command to backup the configuration. The best you could do is save all the Command View command line commands in a script. This would serve as a clear description of the configuration, and it could be used to re-create the original configuration.

The recover command is for use after a catastrophic failure of NVRAM - were the active copy of the maps are stored. recover will attempt to re-create all map information by recovering logged information stored on the disks. The disk log can be slightly behind (in time) the NVRAM version, thus some data (like write cache) may have been lost. Always consult HP prior to attempting a recover.