New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA 7100 configurations.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

VA 7100 configurations.

Questions:

1. How can I estimate the available usage withing the array? AutoRaid cannot stick a particular one level of raids, so how do I know how much total of capacity I can use withing 10x73gb space?

2. How do I figour out which devicefile is belong to Primary, which one is to Secondary controller?

3. I have following format of the devicefile:
c8t[0-3]d[0-7]
c10t[0-3]d[0-7]
Can you please tell me what the number stands for after the letter "t", and "d"?

4. I have HP08 firmware revision on disk modules. Is it too out of updated? firmware revision on controller is HP18, which is ok I believe.

Thanks,
none
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

4. if these disks are 405FC then HP08 is the latest;
3. c is a card instance (see this number under ext_bus entry; t and d for SAN devices are LUN identifiers. Array's LUN#=t*8+d. example: c8t1d5 - card 8, LUN=1*8+5=13 (LUN #13);
2. by switch port number or loop-id (in case of private loop). Example:
0/4/0/0.1.17.0.0.1.5
switch domain id =1
port #1 (1GB/s brocade, 16+1)
fabric (0)
1. tell me your requirements, I will calculate all you want
Eugeny
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Eugen, you are the best here!

2. by switch port number or loop-id (in case of private loop). Example:
0/4/0/0.1.17.0.0.1.5
switch domain id =1
port #1 (1GB/s brocade, 16+1)
fabric (0)

Can you explore it a little bit more? Which field is switch domain, port number, and fabric number withing 0/4/0/0.1.17.0.0.1.5 ?

1. tell me your requirements, I will calculate all you want

I have 10 disks with 73G each, so I configure the array to AutoRaid, can I tell how much usable space I can have?

5. Also, how can I configure the spare one in case one of module failed? Currently it is configured as "automatic" how would that work?

Thanks,
none
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

2. path to the device looks like
hwpath.a.b.c.x.y.z
- hwpath is a hardware path where FC card is installed (internal to server, may vary in length);
- a, b, c - SAN path to the 'box' (within which LUN is created): a - switch domain ID (8 in case of private loop), b - port ID (0 for private loop, port number for 2G brocades and 0x10+port number for 1G brocades), c - loop-id (0 for fabric);
- x, y, z - LUN identifiers: LUN#=z+8*y+128*x.

1. with active hotspare (AHS) you'll get 468GB, without AHS - 534GB;

5. for hotspare settings explanations please look through user and service manual located at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=89018&prodTypeId=12169 , page 57
Eugeny
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Thank you very much for the message.

Now I have only one question left with regards the usable capacity of the array.

1. with active hotspare (AHS) you'll get 468GB, without AHS - 534GB;

How did you figure out these two numbers?

I have read the document(p.g. 57) you are referring to, but still cannot figour it out by myself:

A). The section on page 57 for VA 7400 only, but I have VA 7100.

B). The whole section did not mention how to calcuate the capacity in both case of with and without AHS.

Thanks,
none
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Hello, Eugen?
none
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

I have not used a VA7100, only VA74x0. I believe they are very similar... If you use "armdsp -a " there is a section called "CAPACITY USAGE" In here it will list what is available for what.

On a planning side the unformatted & formatted sizes are roughly
18GB ~ 16.0GB
36GB ~ 32.5GB
73GB ~ 66.0GB
How you work out the formatted:unformatted space I do not know, I just know these figures!!

So if you have 10x73 GB disks there is really 10x66GB of usable space on each disk.

RAID5DP requires 2 parity blocks per stripe (2 disks) thus 8x66GB will be usable. If you require a hot spare this will then drop to 7x66GB. [528GB, 462GB]

RAID1+0. This is simple mirroring, thus if you just do RAID1+0 then it will be 5x66GB is usable. If you want to have a hot spare, because it is RAID1+0 you actually will use two, so then 4x66GB. [330GB, 264GB]

AutoRAID. this is a mixture of the above, the aray decides on how to split the RAID5DP & RAID1+0 up.

As far as the disk names, "t" stands for targit ID (on straight SCSI disks it is the SCSI ID) and d is the logical unit assigned by the LUN. Thus c8t[0-3]d[0-7] can deal with 32 LUNs

I'm not 100% sure about your firmware as it will vary with the disks. we have ST373405FC and are using HP04.

Regards

Tim
-
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, I'm here. I think VA7400 rules apply to VA7100 also. I do not know algorithm how to calculate VA usable capacity (Tim's can be used to calculate capacity approximately). It depends on many reasons: how long stripe is and where image/map disks are.
Maybe someone will reply who knows how to calculate exact capacity or has a link to the tool which does it
Eugeny