1751857 Members
5432 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA 7100 vs FC-60

Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

VA 7100 vs FC-60

We are looking to buy some additional storage for our remote sites. We will need between 100GB and 600GB per site. Originally I was thinking of using FC-60 arrays, but one vendor came back recommending teh VA7100. I am looking for any comparison/contrasts between the two. Real world experience would be great, fo course, but arguments favoring one or the other on design are welcome, too.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: VA 7100 vs FC-60

Alan,

I just got done playing with a va7400, and it was the absolute easiest thing to build and manage. Web interface as well as command line. I think it kicks butt. The ease of adding more disks is just so damn easy, and can be done on the fly. If it's at a remote site, the va7400 is even a better deal than just a va7100 or an fc60.

The VA7400 I tested has 15-18gb drives, and 15-36gb drives with a 16 port brocade switch. We just purchase over 10million (us $) of EMC crap, and I wish we had cut that back and looked into the VA's for areas that don't need immediate data syncronization. The FC-60's, are you using sc10's or fc10's?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the input.

We are looking at fc10's in the fc60. I have been having a hard time finding an apples::apples comparison for performance on the VA7100 vs FC60. HPs storage site shows 90Mbs sustained read (30MBs write) for the VA7100, which is probably the most useful metric, but I can't find any corresponding numbers for the FC.

ALso, some loking throug thread history shows quite a few threads in which admins were confused abuot how much disk space they were losing through the RAID + hot swap configuration on the VA's. Did you have any similar issues?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You cannot connect FC10s in FC60s. You can only connect SC10s. Internally, The FC60 contains 6 Ultra2 SCSI interfaces, each 40 MB/s. Check this out:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/disk_arrays/midrange/fc60/specifications/index.html

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Joe Giegel
Occasional Contributor

For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect the FC60's to stay around all that much longer. The VA7xxx lineup will likely be HP's strategic future. If you have any plans for integrating your storage into a storage area network complete with backup devices, forget about the FC60's. They are not supported by HP in a mixed tape and disk storage area network.

Also, I wouldn't expect to see any improvements in performance or functionality on the FC60's. I would expect to see the VA7xxx line go to 2Gbps on the front-end fibre channel pretty soon. HP has just released a 2Gbps fibre channel card and Brocade has released a 2Gbps fibre channel switch. Look for the VA7xxx to follow suit pretty soon. I'd bet on an upgrade path even if you bought a VA7xxx today.

Finally, the VA7xxx offers a few other advantages over the FC60's:

VA7xxx offers RAID5DP (double parity)
VA7xxx much easier to manage
VA7xxx controllers can have more cache (1GB ea)
VA7400 can take up to 7 15-slot disk cabs
Software offerings are better for VA7xxx
- business copy (data mirror)
- LUN masking/security

We have both FC60's and VA7xxx's in our environment. Both have been solid performers, but the VA7xxx line is our strategic future for storage.

Good luck!