108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA7100 setup -> "device not ready" - "no meta data available"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

VA7100 setup -> "device not ready" - "no meta data available"

Hey everyone, hope someone with experience on VA's can give me a few tips here.

I've got a VA7100 w/ 2 controllers connected to an N4000 via brocade 2800 switch. After installing the CV/SDM software and running the gui, it states the "Device is not ready" and shows the state as "Critical - no Meta Data" w/ warning "no map disks". There is no data on this array.

I'm also able to run the armdsp commands to view information, but I can't include disks or create luns. A total of 8 disks are in the VA, but all show as not included. Auto include is enabled. "armdsp -D M/D1 -a " fails too.

Any thoughts on where to go with getting this one setup?

Thanks,
-denver
4 REPLIES 4
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Re: VA7100 setup -> "device not ready" - "no meta data available"

nevermind. found I was attempting to troubleshoot the wrong VA! All was fine after formatting the array.

amrfmt -f -h

-denver
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Right :) to operate VA needs at least 1 map disk. If it can not find map disks then it fails. Format creates maps from the scratch and designate 2 disks as map disks
Eugeny
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Eugeny,

I get to learn as I go and luckily the 2 VA's aren't in production yet!

-Denver
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Denver,
remember the rule: if you even feel (not necessary see) then there's something wrong (with software, hardware) then better to check what's this before doing anything by yourself. Just an advice. Example: FC60 LUN was accidenally deleted. If admin would not create new LUN at the old LUN's place and called HP first then HP engineer would be able to issue some magic commands to recover original LUN and its data
Eugeny