1753971 Members
8430 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 Business Copy Backup Using RMAN, OPS Environment

Harjit Gill
Occasional Advisor

VA7400 Business Copy Backup Using RMAN, OPS Environment

How do I backup a business copy LUN on VA7400 Array using Omniback and RMAN?
Do I make a new business copy and re-create the volume group, every time we run a backup? Or keep the copy LUN and vg around and somehow sync, split and backup?
OPS uses file system links and raw logical partitions.

Thanks.

Environment:
HP-UX 11.00
ServiceGuard OPS Edition-A.11.13
2 node Cluster
Ominback-4.1
Oracle-8.1.7
Trust Only HP (Higher Power)
8 REPLIES 8
Aaron Tatone
Frequent Advisor

Harjit,

I haven't done that particular backup scenario, but I have an idea based on similar things we do.

I would sync the Business Copy split it off as a pre-script for the backup. The I would mount the Business Copy to either the host or the Cell Server (again in the pre-script)and back it up like that. When the backup ends, I would use a post-script to unmount the Business Copy.

At this point you can either re-sync the Business Copy or wait until later in the day to resync it. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps

Aaron
Harjit Gill
Occasional Advisor

To be little more specific:

When we create a business copy on a VA7400, it is raw data. I can export a map file from the parent vg and import it on the copy LUN and we will have a duplicate data in this new VG.

Do I have to repeat the export/import/create new VG process every time I want to run a backup using business copy?

Is there a way to keep the business copy/LUN/copy_VG intact, and sync/split and backup as needed?
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Harjit,

I would propose to integrate RMAN in your solution so it's hot backup via the rman catalog and you don't need to create a new VG !

You will need Online extention for Omniback.
HTH
Magdi
Harjit Gill
Occasional Advisor

Hi Magdi,
As per our DBA, we may end up implementing RMAN hot backups for our standard Oracle backups.
This customer has DR (Cold backup) requirements.
Are there any good/specific docs on business copy and Omniback integration for file system and Oracle backups?

Thanks.
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Harjit,

Sorry I was out from bureau yesterday.

So, You have the choice do to cold or hot backup. It depends on the customer and what kind of production database it is.

If you use Oracle "cold backup", that means you are shuting down the oracle instance(s) first, doing the omni backup and then starting the oracle instance(s).

If you are using HP OV OmniBack II, you may do the following :

1. start xomni

2. click on "Backup"

3. click on object->Add->Host

4. Select your hostname ( from the list already installed by the "Install" icon in the main icons.

5. browse the files and directories within the selected host in point 3.

6.Select a backup device ( which should already defined using the "Device & Media" icon in the start main icons )

7.click on the "host backup options"

8. Protection is "none". If you use permanent, you need to recycle and ititialize the tape before you are able to use it again.

9.Pre-exec : the name of the script that will be executed before the backup starts ( In our case, you can write a script to shutdown the oracle instance(s) ).

10.Post-exec : the name of the script that will be executed after the backup is finished ( could also be the oracle instance(s) startup ).

11. Important the Pre-exec and Post-exec script must be located in the directory /opt/omni/lbin

You can find also docs. in /opt/omni/doc/C, if you had already installed omniback on your server.

Notice :
If you want to know how to Hot backup an oracle instance, just post it.

Hope thsi could help.
Good luck

Magdi

Harjit Gill
Occasional Advisor

Magdi,
We are already using Omniback-II on enterprise level.

We have recently purchased a VA7400 and a 500G business copy capability.

I am only looking for help and/or docs on Omniback-II Version 4.1 and business copy integration using LVM.

Thanks.
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

First one explanation. Business copy VA is a snapshot copy, there is sync, split, commands like in business copy XP. When you create business copy LUN map with pointers to disk blocks is copied and you can start using this copy almost immediately. If you need "newer" copy just execute copy command. This procces can be controlled using ComandView VA or OB 4.1 VA integration. Then you mount your business copy LUN to backup host and execute backup. It is recommended that backup host is different from host which has orginal LUN mounted to avoid problems with having two VG with same id on the samo host. All these actions can be executed from OB VA integration.
In setup you say which LUN has to be backed up, if OB will use Business Copy LUN you already created or it will create BC and which server will mount BC in order to execute backup. After backup is finished OB can delete BC or leave it for fast recovery if needed.
There is a manual HP OpenView OmniBack II HP SureStore Virtual Array Integration Guide which can be downloaded from http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/
Krishna Prasad
Trusted Contributor

I use EMC time-finder BCV's but I am assuming the functionality to close.

If you split a copy that was made from one host and mount it on other you will have to vgimport those disks becuase they will have a lvm header on the drive that tells it was created from a different system. The vgimport of course re-writes that header on the drive.
Positive Results requires Positive Thinking