1752762 Members
5184 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 - Data Unavailable

Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

VA7400 - Data Unavailable

Gooday - I can not backup the LUN's in my VA7400.
I get the following information from the VA.
Any ideas what I can do to force recover the ARRAY?

# armrecover -s VA01

Array State:
Warning

THE FOLLOWING WARNING(S) EXIST:
- Data Unavailable
- Redundancy Loss
- Rebuild Failed
No recovery needed on array VA01.
# armdsp VA01

WARNINGS

WARNING: The controller cannot retrieve some portion of host data.

WARNING: A rebuild operation failed.

WARNING: Some data in the device lacks redundancy, and is exposed to becoming unavailable if further drive removals or failures occur.

29 REPLIES 29
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

Hi

From the file you attached I can see the symptoms but not the cause. The firmware should be changed to HP18 but only after the problem is solved. There are several other logs possible to get from the VA so you should call HP to do this and correct the faillure(s).

Can you see the luns from your system?

Good luck,

Ricardo
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention. You don't need to run the command armrecover. I think this is only used to get the map data from the disks. In your case the map is ok, that's why it's not needed.

Bye,

Ricardo
"there is this old man who spent so much of his life sleeping that he is able to keep awake for the rest of his years"
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

Hi Robert---- Thank you for this reply. This occured after a poer outage and the UPS's went flat - so unscheduled shutdown.

Thank you for the tip on the firmware - BUT the local HP agent wishes to upgrade anyway ? You say only AFTER applying some sort of fix ?
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

OOPS -Sorry that should have been Ricardo, not Robert......

And to answer the other question - YES I can see the LUN's from the System but I do have access problems to the data.
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

I'm not Robert :)

Well, the VA won't let the upgrade to be performed while it is in a warning state. So it's not possible. The errors must be cleared before. From the armdsp -a it's not possible to identify the problem. There are other logs to get like armlog, but these ones must be peformed by HP, because only them can analyse it. From the log you sent all hardware seems ok, so it can be a logical problem (several problems are corrected with HP18).

Good luck,

Ricardo
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Hello Brian,
note on armdsp -a: why private loop? If connected to switch should be in fabric (not related to your problem). Please zip 'logprn -t All -v -a ' and attach to your next reply. Make sure it's not bigger than 256KB (otherwise will not attach correctly).
Eugeny
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

Thnak you for the heads up on the interface.....

The logprn output is attached however I get the error below...

Device Unique Name = 50060B00000926E3
Device Name = HP StorageWorks Virtual Array 7400
Date = November 23, 2002
Time = 10:12:57 AM GMT
Controller Time Stamp = 2224139980276
Event Number = 117353
Sequence Number = 154
Event Type = Controller Event
Event Code = 571
Severity = 4
Event Count = 1
FRU Location = M
FRU Data = enclosureId/slot/component/subcomponent : 0x00/0xff/0xff/0xff
Reporting Controller = M/C1
Event Source Info = serialNum/moduleId/processId : 00PR00000921/0x36/0xffffffff
Event Description = NEW_DEVICE_FOUND_EH A new device was discovered by CFMhot.
Event Unique Info = Node WWN: 20000004cf13aec9
Port WWN: 21000004cf13aec9
HA: 1e
Slot: 004a
EXECUTION ERROR

logprn Usage:
logprn -a [-s ] [-e ]
[-t ] [-sv ] [-d ] [-b | -v | -xml] [-?]

Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

What's with your date? It's not November 23, 2002!

Anyway, your last error message (in your post) indicates that the disk in slot 15 of your 2nd DS2400 (the 45th drive in the array) has reappeared. This would indicate a problem with that drive, if it's dropping off the loop and coming back in.

Actually, from the log, lots of them are doing this. If you haven't yet called and arranged for a service call, do so now.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Ricardo Rocha
Valued Contributor

I think Brian was not able to get all the logs. You should try the same comand again but using the -s option, to get the logs ,for instance, from last week until now. What we see on the logs you already sent is the boot process of the VA, so the disk messages are normal. The las log I saw indicated the VA was fine. Please run the logprn command again with latest logs.

Bye,

Ricardo