1748245 Members
3719 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 - Data Unavailable

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Execution error may be caused by corrup host logs. Then attach 'armlog -e ' output zipped
Eugeny
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

I am still battling with the logprn command to get an output but here is the armlog output . Thank you
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

here is an output from "logprn -a VA01" All other options give the above error ...

Thank you for your trouble.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Brian,
VA disk array has a certain procedure how should it be turned off and on.
Off: turn off main (controller) enclosure first. Allow it to shutdown correctly writing all needed info (maps) to the disks. Then turn off all disk enclosures. Then operate main (cabinet, UPS) breaker.
On: turn on all disk enclosures, wait for some time to allow disks to start and initialize (~1 minute) and then turn on main (controller) enclosure.
Do you comply with these rules? Or do you do in another way?
I see many JBOD signal lost in the log, this may mean that you turn off JBOD before enclosure. In addition, I see power supply failure events, they may mean that you operate main breaker before turning off whole VA.
Powering disk enclosure off first may interrupt both backend loops, and if you'll power off main enclosure after it then waiting I/Os may be lost, and array recovery routine may try to recover data, but as soon as there will be more that one disk lost in each RG array will flag 'data unavailable'.
Eugeny
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

Good day Eugeny - That you for the above Detailed information. WHEN we can we stick to this procedure......

The problem that I live with is the following. the power is very unstable so we have UPS's, battery time 15 min. and a Generator. This normally keeps the data center up. How ever the generator does not allways kickin in time and the UPS die. We have 3 UPSs and the 2 PDUs in the rack go to separate UPS's some times 1 UPS dies first - this is the loss of power you see.

My problem is when the power goes off at night and the UPS's die and then the power is restored - The VA comes on line INCORRECTLY - that is - the controller comes on line at the same time as the JBOD's and not as per your e-mail allowing the 6 JBODS to stablise first. We are addressing this problem with the utmost Urgency.
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

To reply to Vincent - I logged this with HP Wednesday 19th. They changed one controller Thursday Evening - did not resolve problem. They now wish to upgrade Firmware - but reading above we will NOT be able to ? This is why I turned to the Forum to see if I could get any other Assistance.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

As a workaround try to reconfigure aray in secure or even single controller mode (armmgr -J). I believe in this mode controllers' write cache will be disabled and all I/Os will bypass it and treated as forced unit access (disk access).
Please update us on your problem resolution progress
Eugeny
Claudiu Schmidt
Valued Contributor

Hi Brian,

i'm glad there is somebody outsite haveing same problems as we did. We have(had) a VA7400 with the same simptoms as you described. We tried everything, exchanged both controlers, did partial resets, on the VA, read all of the luns, to let the VA know if some portion from the VA has any data loss, allocated all of the space of the VA in luns, and did a dd on this ones, to see if the data unavailable is not in the free space, but nothing helped. At last, we backuped all data from the VA, and formated the VA. Afterwards, everything was ok :)
One week after the formating, and firmware upgrade of controlers to HP18, and disks, i inserted a bad disk into one enclosure, and Va went back into the same status data unavailable, redundancy loss. And thats why we "HAD" a VA7400. It was exchanged with a VA7410 last week. HP was not able to tell me where this error comes from, even after sending MB's of logsfiles.
Have fun!

Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

The Service Centre tried the update to no avail. Will try the armmgr -J command.
Brian Duthie_1
Advisor

I issued the armmgr -J commands successfully. But the VA reamins in same state!

I issued the armrbld -r command and I get the same result. see attached armlog output.