1752302 Members
4621 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

VA7400 and N4000 see physical devies instead of LUN´s

Thowen2011
Established Member

VA7400 and N4000 see physical devies instead of LUN´s

Hi we have installed a VA7400 and set up 23 LUN´s via serial IF. First one LUN0 has a 10MB for VA internal use. On both Controller we have FW HP22 and the Server OS is MPE 7.5. DSP -L show´s all the LUN´s but under MPE we can see only the physical 15 HDD´s. MAPPER2 and FCSCAN looks like the same. The controller is an HP6795A installed as path 0/2/0/0. Connection is directly from Host to VA C1 as PRIVATE_LOOP with 1GB link speed. There is no SDM for configuration so we can only use serial. As attachement is a configuration log from the VA7400. I don´t now what is wrong but in some posts there is a entry made by host_port_behavior. But this can only done with SDM. Could this be the problem?
4 REPLIES 4
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: VA7400 and N4000 see physical devies instead of LUN´s

I could not see the attachment on this post.

However, you can connect any other system (windows/hpux) to the VA via a single port nad use CVSDM installed on that host to configure the options. Im not sure whethere CVSDM is available for MPE.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Thowen2011
Established Member

Hi Hari

thanks for reply. Yes, this is correct - CVSDM does´nt work with MPE. But could it be that the non entry within
HOST_PORT_BEHAVIOR caused the problem? I´ve read that you must use this parameter only by connecting different Servers to one VA. Older FC Install Guides from HP looks like this: Take an MPE/IX 7.5, one FC HBA A6795A, plug the cable directly to the VA Controller, Set topology to "private loop", make your LUNs and if you have configured the HBA within SYSGEN in MPE everything looks well after the reboot. So  - most hopefully - I must never use CVSDM from a second machine.

The connection looks good because MPE shows with FCSCAN the 15 HDD´s with its N-Port.

Folks with VA experience told me it´s not so easy to configure the VA over VFP but it works for HP9000 as well as HP3000. But never heared about this problem that I can´t see absolutely no LUN.

Tomorrow I will test the system again with some other options. So I can place the LOGS fom the HP3000 and the VA inside this post.

best regards

Thomas

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Thomas,

I do not have experience with MPE. However there is very little chance of "physical" disks showing up on the OS when host is connected to VA Controller. I can check more, when you attach the logs to the post. If you can post the logs from VFP as well, it would be good.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I would also check and confirm proper cabling.  Assuming you have expansion trays, check the cabling between the controller and the JBOD trays.  I have seen this when improperly connected to the JBOD rather than to the host port on the VA controller.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!