New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 is giving NON REDUNDANT DISK ACCESS

SOLVED
Go to solution
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

VA7400 is giving NON REDUNDANT DISK ACCESS

Hi,

About a week ago the VA storage was giving a warning state. I discerned that it was the controller 2 that was getting bad. I didn't have any spare part in place, so I just reset the whole VA and everything became normal: green light and ready state; oracle users could access their data in the VA.

Now this is what is happening:
I 've just come to data centre and notice that the VA is giving orange light including three of the disks. The hyperterminal to one of the controller console port is showing Warning State. DSP -S is not giving anything, It just hung and the cursor blinking. None of the mount points on the VA storage could be access even with LL command in hp-ux.
Now I have hust hard reset the whole VA : even though I can now access the mount points on the VA, it is still giving orange light all over the disks and the DSP -S giving NON REDUNDANT DISK ACCESS.

What can I do to fix this problem ?

PLEASE ADVISE !!!!!!!!!

Regards.
Berenger.
7 REPLIES 7
aliasgar
Valued Contributor

Hi Berenger,

U execute the command armdsp -a ,it will be a long display ,better capture it to a file and see if any disks are reported faulty.

#armdsp -a (array id).

Regards,
Aliasgar.
aliasgar
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Berenger.

Check EMS logs for the errors reported and get the defective controller replaced first. Chances of three disks failure in one go are remote.

armdsp -a after the controller replacement will provide details on defective disk modules if any.

Regards
Mahesh
generic_1
Respected Contributor

I think you have a bad controller get it replaced. It probably took your disks offline because it had to many errors.

Pay attention to warning lights, they are trying to tell you something before it breaks :) or you loose data.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

your controller is bad again, probably. But try to run the following commands from your OS:

armdsp -c your_array_alias

armdsp -t your_array_alias

to get more information.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

something strange. Before leaving the site yesterday I switched off power to the whole VA. This morning I switched everything on and the VA gave the ready status and there were green light all over. Can somebody explain this ? The day before yesterday I did the same thing but not positive result came !

I would like to inform you also that I replaced the controller this afternon. I am observing for a time before confirming that the problem is solved.

Regards.
Berenger.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Berenger,

The VA7400 is known for having controller issues. Do you have commandview installed? Could you attach the output of the armdsp -a command for this array?

Thanks,

Josh
What are the chances...
berenger aguissi
Frequent Advisor

After changing the bad controller, I have been monitoring the status for the whole VA for 2 days now . Everything is ok : Ready status; Green light ....
Oracle Database users have no complains for accessing their data.

Thanks all of you very much for your precious contributions.

Your advice and recommendations are welcome.