New Discussion юеВ

VA7400 mirroring check

SOLVED
Go to solution
deepak_9
Frequent Advisor

VA7400 mirroring check

Hi ,
We have superdome servers and installed with VA7400. This is configured with raid 0+1. Just want to know how effectively can I check the mirroring established or not .
Never Ever give Up !!!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Re: VA7400 mirroring check

Hi Deepak,

For verifying if disks ara mirrored, issue the following command :

# lvdisplay -v /dev/vg*/lv* ?? more

I assume in this command that all volume groups start with "vg" and all Logical volume start with "lv".

If you find the output with two Physical Volumes PV1 and PV2 and corresponding disks (ie. /dev/dsk/c0t1d0 and /dev/dsk/c1t1d0 )

that means that the mirroring had been done.

You need to install first MirrorUX software.

Magdi
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

if you dont like command line use can use sam to list the logical volumes which will show mirrors

John.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Actually, the VA handles the mirroring within the array on a block-by-block level rather than a disk-by-disk level. There is no way to check if the drives are mirrored because the drives themselves are not mirrored.

When the VA receives a write command, it automatically mirrors that block (and that block only) on two drives.

So, by definition, it's mirrored at all times. If you experience a drive failure, the GUI will show (and I'm sure there's a command-lin equiv, but I don't remember what it is) that the unit is rebuilding the parity to the active spare area. If I recall, it reports it as a redundency loss.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
deepak_9
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

But how effectively I can test that it's being mirrored . OR what is the recovery method suppose one of my directory I lost.

Regards
Never Ever give Up !!!!!
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

Assign some points and we'll tell you. ;-)
No matter where you go, there you are.