New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7400 path problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jerry Chen_2
Contributor

VA7400 path problem

Hi
My customer uses security manager to manage the VA7400.
Problem 1.
If hosts don't have write permission to LUN0,then it can't see LUN1,LUN2...from ioscan.
If hosts don't have write permission to LUN1,then it can't see LUN2,LUN3....
Why?

Problem 2.
There are two hp-ux 10.20 hosts connect to Hp 8B switch and VA7400 connect to this switch with two paths.Each host uses one path to switch.
Host1 can see dual paths of the LUN,but another one only see one path.
Why?
JerryChen
4 REPLIES 4
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jerry,

Question one seems to have to do with sequential LUN numbering.

Question two requires a bit more explanation. If you are seing this behavior with SAM, it's not uncommon. If you're seeing this behavior with ioscan, it could be patch related. Since Command View SDM is not supported on HP-UX 10.20 and the ARMserver is part of Command View SDM, there is nothing to interrogate the array. That being said, if LUNS are configured and file systems placed on them, the hosts should see the LUNS. I think you will find a lot of random results prior to that especially if viewing in SAM.

My recommendation would be to look into the latest SAM/Obam, ioscan, and WSIO SCSI patches. The sequential LUN numbering is a specific problem in this regard which is noted in the patch documentation. Also, be sure that you have the latest revision of firmware (HP17) on the array and the latest version of Command View SDM which I believe is version 1.05.

HTH,

Dave
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jerry,
problem 1 sounds strange under hpux. If you created LUNs within VA, then you can assign permissions. Please remember thet it's recommended for LUN0 to have 'WC' permissions. All other LUNs you can assign as you wish - '0' to deny access, 'WC' to gain full access. Please do not use 'C' - it's meaningless and will cause VA to log security 'access denied' events.
Problem2: check if brocade has zoning set up. Clear zoning. If you wish you can collect supportshow from brocade, armdsp -a output from VA and ioscan from OS and post them here
Eugeny
Jerry Chen_2
Contributor

I found that if I use the command
#fcmsutil /dev/td0 replace_dsk 0x011000
#fcmsutil /dev/td0 replace_dsk 0x011100
Then two paths are appeared

The problem 1
If I set Lun1 to Config ,Lun2 to write,then the hosts can only use Lun2 but not Lun1.
JerryChen
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jerry, this is normal. Option 'C' (config) as I know used for LUN/path failover, option 'W' permits access to LUN, option '0' denies access to LUN. I saw if there's only 'C' option set for LUN then VA logs a lot of LUN security events in its event log (armlong -e) but does not permit assess to the LUN.
Use either 'W' or 'WC' permissions
Eugeny