7097 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7410 & VFP cmds

Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

VA7410 & VFP cmds

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do the following using VFP commands on a VA7410:

- Check allocated and free space for each redundancy group?
- Change the number of hot spares per RG?

I know this is a simple task with command view, but the only host I have attached is 10.20, which CV isn't supported on.

Cheers, Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Paul,
1. you can get help for all vfp commands if you'll type "help";
2. in each RG array can or can not have active hotspare space reserved for a rebuild if disk will fail. This means that there're no dedicated hotspare disks - simply allocated space, spread across all RG disks. You can only control presence of active hot spare (yes or no). I know it's possible with 'armmgr -h' command, but anyway you can get help on 'mgr' command in vfp to see it it allows doing it. But I'm not sure.
VFP is used for initial array configuration and obtaining basic diagnostic information in case VA is not reachable via FC. It's not for VA management. The best for you is to find PC with supported FC adatper and install CommandView - but remember: before connecting windows host you have to turn VA security on and allow windows host accessing VA's LUN 0 only (if needed, allow accessing other windows-exclusive LUNs)
Eugeny
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

Thanks Eugeny.

I had already tried/suggested all the points you made, but unfortunately to no avail.

I know vfp is not meant for array management, but it's my only option with a 10.20 host.

I think you can get a VA working fine without Cmd View, but only if you are happy with the defaults and minimal feedback.

Rgds, Paul
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Paul,
unfortunately.... see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=89018&prodTypeId=12169 in user's and service guide you can read "native operating systems (CV can be installed there): HP-UX 11.x, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Red Hat Linux; Non-native (needs CV management stataion): Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, NetWare, MPE/iX (VA 7100 only)".
There's no HP-UX 10.x in the list, thus connection to 10.20 is not supported (although it does not mean it will not work). To manage VA you need management station with native OS installed
Eugeny
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

Eugeny,

Yeah I know CV is not supported on a 10.20 system. I have heard that it will work, but you need to make sure you have some specific LVM patches, as it can get very confused by business copies.

Anyhow, the 10.20 system works ok connected to the VA, they just have no effective array management. They are currently looking at moving to 11.0 asap - it's their application support that is the show stopper at present.

Thanks for trying to help.

Paul