New Discussion юеВ

VA7410 lun create

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

VA7410 lun create

Hello guru's

I have a VA7410 and I understand that deleting a lun will cause I/O timeouts on my systems (KBRC00011820). My question is for the creating of a lun, should I plan downtime to create lun or can I create and present luns without affecting existing I/O's? Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

Re: VA7410 lun create

For creating a lun u dont need a downtime and it should not effect any other i/o.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=89018
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for forwarding the link to the manual however, I was looking for someone with some actual experience with a VA that can confirm the creation of a lun does not causse I/O timeouts in the same fashion that deleting a lun does.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

According to the commandview user manual, there are scenarios that can cause host I/O timeouts:

If the LUN being deleted is very large, the time required to delete the
LUN may cause host I/O timeouts.

If the LUN being formatted is very large, the time required to format the
LUN may cause host I/O timeouts.

That's it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tkc
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

creating lun wouldn't cause i/o timeout.
the mechanism of creating luns is such that the space in the array is still left unused after the lun creation until you start writing data to the array. you might only experience slowness if you remove huge amount of data on the array and then start writing data again into it.
Gerald Taylor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I also logged a software support call with HP they agree the creation and presentation of luns will not cause an outage to the array.