108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VA7410 or CLARiiON CX400 for HIPAA

SOLVED
Go to solution
MicheleP
Occasional Contributor

VA7410 or CLARiiON CX400 for HIPAA

I'm working with a customer who is in the process of making a hardware decision to move their digital imaging data into a scalable 6TB environment. We're looking at both the VA7410 and the CX400. I'm concerned that the Clariion's technology is going to phase out faster than HP's, etc. Any input from you gurus out there?! Many thanks!
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."- Mark Twain
8 REPLIES 8
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: VA7410 or CLARiiON CX400 for HIPAA

Virtual Arrays are mid-range, and fully loaded VA7410 can contain 105 of max 73G - max 7.6 TB(not sure if 146GB disk support've already released).
Enterprise Virtual Array is high-end disk array and can contain 240 of 73GB disks (and maybe 146GB disks in the future).
Thus for 6TB VA7410 is ok, but if your data will grow then maybe better to choose EVA?
Eugeny
MicheleP
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. I don't disagree with you regarding the EVA vs. the VA for scalability. Unfortunately, my customer is using a 3rd party sw which mandates a "direct attached" approach and they will only support the VA7410 or the CX400. I've presented 17 different configs/designs and the SW company is insisting on these 2 designs only. Where the VA was the leading solution, I came in more than 50K less than them, so now they're insisting that the CX400 is the best solution (because I don't sell that). I have read many negative things about the EMC line... looking for direction as my customer deserves the best...
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."- Mark Twain
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

Just to lock You with VA, yes, it supports 146GB disk drives today... so the maximum capacity is around 14TB. BR, Vladimir
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

... oops, just fired too quickly. I forgot to stress the virtualisation - so put it to the customer based on Total Cost Of Ownership = easy management, AutoRAID, blabla... the CX has nothing like that...
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fists, the 146GB disks for the VA7410 are released and already shipping (Part number A7289A), so the max capacity with 105 disks is 15TB raw.
Second, the Clariion is a traditional box where you have to manually define RAID sets, RAID levels and so on. Growing capacity means manual intervention.
The VA7410 is virtualized array that manages data allocation, LUN distribution/striping and, if AUTORAID mode enabled, even the migration from and to RAID01 and RAID5DP.
The main benefit of the VA is ease of use.
Initially you define, if you want to run the array in RAID01 or AUTORAID mode.
Then you just add LUNs at your desired sizes and the array automatically allocates stripes and optimizes the LUNs. Thus you will hardly get a ???hot spot??? disk.
If you add more disks, the array will redistribute the existing LUNs to all available disks and the new free space is also spread to all disks.
Striping means single LUN performance.
Enjoy
Peter
I love storage
MicheleP
Occasional Contributor

Again, thanks for your input! It all supports our claims, however, the client is being "sold" very hard by EMC. I have been scrambling to find ANY collateral/white papers, etc. to put into the CIO's hands that will prove our collective claims, but have been unable to do so. Does anyone know where this type of literature might be found (Gartner, MetaGroup, etc.)? I've done a search on MetaGroup (a client of ours) with no results. It is interesting that I can find docs from EMC supporting the Phillips PACS solution, but nothing from HP in the same environment, although it's an approved solution...
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Find some links with information that could be useful:
HP whitepapers http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/disk_arrays/midrange/va7410/infolibrary/index.html
VA in SAP environments http://h40045.www4.hp.com/data/HP_VA_SAP.pdf

Contact the next HP office and ask the Storage Marketing guys to provide more information like that!
I love storage
Dave Thompson_4

I'd tip toward the VA for 3 reasons
1) scalability. cx400 maxes out at 60 drives. using 146G FC drives that means the largest physical capacity is 8.7Tb. va7410 is not even half loaded at 6Tb.
2) back-end performance. Or it could be loaded with higher-performance 73G 15k disks. The combination of more, higher-performing mechanisms would significantly increase the back-end performance.
3) ease of load-balancing and management through virtualization. data is automatically moved to the RAID level that best serves the application access patterns, and the data is distributed across all spindles, ensuring in this kind of an application that hotspots would not occur.
Good selling!