Disk Enclosures
1752579 Members
3975 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VA7410 unable to replace failed disk.

Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

VA7410 unable to replace failed disk.

Hi,

I have a Va7410 Array with firmware A000. One of the disk in the array failed (M/D8).

When the disk was replaced, it initiated the format and after sometime it failed. With the green LED glowing and the amber LED flickering.

Assuming that the new disk may be DOA, replaced with another disk. But this too failed after initially trying to format.

in the logprn found some frequent errors as below:
----------------------------------------------
BACKEND_CHANNEL_ERROR_COUNT_EH The count of link-level errors on adisk interface has incremented. This can occur under normal circumstances (especially with disk hotplug), so it does not indicate a problem unless it occurs frequently.
Event Unique Info = Ckpt 0xa90032: 0x00000afb, 0x00000bfb ctlr 1 loop 0
-----------------------------------------------

another message being logged frequently to various disks is

Event Description = The disk drive returned a status of CHECK_CONDITION, UNIT_ATTENTION, PWR_ON_RESET. The PDD could not retry this I/O. If there wasn't already a reconfiguration in progress when the PDD got the callback for this I/O, the PDD used the JCB for this I/O to reconfigure the drive; the UNIT ATTENTION condition has already been cleared. Recommend that the client retry the I/O.
Event Unique Info = Target Sense Key = 0x06 -- Target ASC = 0x29 -- Target ASCQ = 0x00 -- Target Physical LBA = 0x00 --

Any idea what is happening to the array? How can I get the failed disk replaced now?

I have attached the logprn output with this message.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
8 REPLIES 8
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Looks like strange problem.
logprn - output looks like no problem.

Contact HP!!

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Mohan,
please call HP and ask them to upgrade VA firmware to A100 and disks firmwares to the latest. This should solve the problem
Eugeny
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi folks,

Thanks both of you for taking your time to reply. here is what I did to solve the issue.

1) Did a partial reset of the array, This made the new disk as included and the array balanced.

2) Upgraded CommandView SDM from 1.05 to 1.06

3) Upgraded the Array controller firmware from A000 to A100.

4) Upgraded the Disk firmware to HP09.

After the above activity and so many days of observation, all is well.

Thanks once again.
Mohan.
Navid HUSSAIN_2
Frequent Advisor

Hello Mohan,

I have same VA7410 with f/w A100. Pls. advise should I upgrade to A110 and Latest disk firmware but still, I am not facing any problem by far. Is SDM 1.06.00 ok ? as HP has released SDM 1.07.00. Do I need to upgrade it or not?

Share your experience......

NH
Teamwork
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Navid,

In my case, I had a typical problem solved by the particular Controller firmware and the Disk firmware. Hence I had updated.

Usually, I apply patches/firmware if it fixes a specific problem encountered by me or if it is a critical and highly recommended one from HP.

IN other cases, you need not update a firmware as soon as it is released, especially when you do not have a problem. A wait period of 4-6 months after the release will be good to unearth any new problems introduced by the new patch/firmware.

Please check the release notes of the A110 firmware and see if there is anything specific to your setup. Command View SDM 1.06 was a pre-requisite for updating the VA7410 controller firmware A100, this should be good enough unless you need a specific feature introduced by version 1.07.

Hope it helps.

With regards,
Mohan.
Rajesh G. Ghone
Regular Advisor

Hi Mohan,

The new frimware version for controller is HP120 & Commandview version is 1.07.

Please schedule this activity & get it updated very soon.

Regards,
Rajesh G.
Rajesh Ghone
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the message. I had resolved the problem and I do not see any immediate need to update the firmware to the latest.

"Don't fix it when it ain't broken" :)

BTW, What is your email ID? I think it is time to catch up with you.

Cheers,
Mohan.
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Conclusion is given 2 posts above this.