5922 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Va7100 - bottleneck

Sylvie Vezina
Occasional Advisor

Va7100 - bottleneck

Hello,

I run with L2000 11.0, 3 CPU's 4.5 of memory and we think the array va7100 is our bottleneck.
Could you give me a clue to increase the performance of disks
I don't have glance on this machine...
The best day is today
4 REPLIES 4
Marc Heinrich
Occasional Advisor

Re: Va7100 - bottleneck

just some thoughts when the Disk is really the issue:
* are you on the current Firmware (not shure but should be something like HP18)
* does the box run in Raid 1/0 or Autoraid ?
I prefer 1/0.
* use more Disks -> stripe over more Disks or have more 1/0 Space in Autoraid Mode.
* is application "well behaving" ?
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

You have "sar", which can be used to check your system's performance. Use "sar -d" to see disk performance.

In general, in your "sar" output, your "wio" should remain < 10% if your disk performance is good. If it's > 10%, you would benefit from some tuning.

With the VA, be sure that your primary path (in LVM) is Controller-1 on the VA. This will give the best performance.

That's about it for the general stuff... tell us more about your environment, and we can probably make more suggestions.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Roger_22
Trusted Contributor

First,

If your not on HP18, then get HP to upgrade your array.

With HP18, set Prefetch Enabled, and Normal Resiliency - these are KEY settings!

After you've tried the above, and you still have poor performance then (in this order);

- Add more disks until you're in RAID 1+0.

- If it's a single controller configuration, consider adding the second controller (this enables write cache)

- If these don't help and this array is full, consider adding more arrays. If you can't afford that, conside removing cpus from the L2000.

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Sylvie,
please attach 'armdsp -a' command output for this VA to your next reply
Eugeny