Disk Enclosures
1752402 Members
5683 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What components do I need to set up a RAID array on an hp xw4100 workstation????

Gary Mc Adam
Occasional Contributor

What components do I need to set up a RAID array on an hp xw4100 workstation????

I just got my first engineering job right out of college and the first project my boss gave me is to configure a RAID array on a Liux system. I have an hp xw4100 workstation with two 40 gb harddrives. I want to set them up in a RAID1 configuration. I know that I need a SCSI controller and/or a RAID controller but I am not entirely sure. I've checked several SCSI/RAID controller manufactures but the controllers all seem to point to having an external RAID box. Is there a way to set up the RAID array using the 2 internal harddrives and do I need any extra equipment? If anyone has any ideas please let me know so that I can get the parts ordered so that I can finish up my first project in a timely manner. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: What components do I need to set up a RAID array on an hp xw4100 workstation????

You can set up software RAID using the internal drives. See:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

However, if your boss really means "RAID array" that typically means some special H/W - generally a RAID capable SCSI controller and some sort of storage enclosure to hold the disks. I think you need some clarification from the boss...
Gary Mc Adam
Occasional Contributor

Re: What components do I need to set up a RAID array on an hp xw4100 workstation????

I appreciate the reply. I know from my previous job that RAIDs are usually encased in a seperate box. But I've been reading online for the RAID1 setting - which is mirroring with 2 harddrives. However I don't think there is a way to hook up a RAID without connecting the harddrives externally to the RAID/SCSI controller.... I guess I will check out the software RAID. I thank you for the link!