Disk Enclosures
1748261 Members
3599 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What tools can help identify RAID as source of bottleneck?

Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

What tools can help identify RAID as source of bottleneck?

We have a new Linux server with a RAID5 / 4 disk configuration and we suspect that may be causing some performance issues. But, how can I prove that? Our hardware vender informed me they don't have any tools to analyze the RAID performance. Can any sar options point to the problem? If so, how can I analyze sar output to pinpoint RAID issues?
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: What tools can help identify RAID as source of bottleneck?

vmstat willl provide you the cpu "wa" (wait) information. Normally, cpu wait are caused by pending I/O operations to disk, meaning that the disk subsistem is slow (or a poorly designed application).

Then, you could do performance test to identify the maximum transfer rate to the disk subsistem, for example using dd. Then, identify if your application can reach that transfer rate.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

Is there an easy way to run vmstat every 5 minutes or do I just setup a cron job to run it on the frequency I want?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The vmstat command receives as argument the interval and the number of samples:

vmstat [interval] [number_of_samples]

For example, using:

vmstat 300 10

Will display 10 samples every 5 minutes (300 seconds).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

What is considered a high wait figure with vmstat?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

On my systems they stay close to 0. A small ammount < 5 is acceptable for small periods of time.

But this is system dependent. As a general rule, a value close to 10 can indicate an I/O problem. As a rule of thumb, consider 25% as high iowait if you have idle cpu.

Iowait can be caused also by paging/swapping acitivities, this occurs if your system memory is not enough, check the swap in swap out columns in the output of vmstat (si/so).

You can also use the "sar -d" and iostat commands to identify the transfers/request per second.

You should also see:

http://www.sarcheck.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Jeremys_Magazine_Articles/Hunting_I_O_Bottlenecks_with_iostat