Disk Enclosures
1752802 Members
5021 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: When creating snapshots " error-- disks do not belong to the same volume group"

SOLVED
Go to solution
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

When creating snapshots " error-- disks do not belong to the same volume group"

When we extended a clustered volumegroup " HP-UX 11i v3" the snapshots now keep on failing , error doing vgchid says " do not belong to the same volume group".
Originaly we had no problems creating snapshots for backup purposes " see attached file" until we added a new LUN to extend the volume group.

Is there a workaround this problem without having to delete the current Volume group and create it with a large LUN then restore the data?

Please advise
6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: When creating snapshots " error-- disks do not belong to the same volume group"

hello Jose,
On EVA's you can create shapshot only on the same disk group as your original data.
Maybe you should try creting snapclone - it goes to different group (and takes much more time - full copy of original)

Jan
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jan

Thanks for the good advice. I will check the EVA's configuration and give feedback.

Best Regards,
Jose da Silva
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

It's always a problem with duplicated threads, see

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1440035

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hi All

Yes it seemed that I misstakenly have duplicated the same thread. Sorry.

Kind Regards,
Jose
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hi All

The solution to the problem was to execute vgcfgbackup to the vg in question. It seemed that after I extended the vg and applied the vgcfgbackup, the lvm structures were later altered and the cmd vgcfgbackup was not applied.

THANKS to everyone concerned.
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hi All

As per my previous reply the cmd vgcfgbackup had to be done after changes on the lvm structure.

THANKS to ALL