1752579 Members
4172 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

When doing a Firmware upgrade on an EVA

Brian Nielsen_4
Advisor

When doing a Firmware upgrade on an EVA

I've noticed that after a VCS upgrade, the disk group starts a disk levelling proces. Is it okay to do the disk firmware upgrade when the disks are levelling, or should I wait until the levelling has finished?

rgds.
Brian
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: When doing a Firmware upgrade on an EVA

You can't do the disk firmware upgrade unless either the EVA is taken offline ( offline array code load ) or each disk drive is taken out of the disk group one at a time . There are the only two methods currently being supported.

Refer following advisory

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080751293

Now for second option, un-grouping of a disk drive from the disk group would depend on the current EVA activities with equally influential levelling in your case besides other things mentioned in the advisory.

If you have HP Support for EVA , log a call with HP for this activity.
Brian Nielsen_4
Advisor

Yes, I know how to do the Firmware upgrade. But after a HSV VCS upgrade the disks starts a new disk levelling proces, and my question is, may I do the drivefw**.sss disk firmware upgrade while the disks are levelling, or is it a risc at should I wait until the EVA has finished disk levelling?
I can tell you that I've done it a couble of times, but the last time I did a upgrade, I notished that the disks started to level, and I was afraid of doing the drivefw**.sss upgrade, so I didn't...

rgds.
Brian
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Well - my experience matches yours Brian. I've also done a VCS upgrade immediately followed by an 'offline' disk firmware upgrade and never had a problem. I've never seen an official HP position for or against this, but at least our empirical evidence is consistent.
David Tapper_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As far as I know, only HP Services are allowed to perform VCS/XCS-upgrades on systems already running in production.

We are allowed to upgrade new EVA:s before they are taken in production.
We are working according to ABSP.

Regards,
David Tapper

Brian Nielsen_4
Advisor

I think that the ABSP program depends on where you live. I'm also a ABSP partner and we are allowed to do these things.

rgds.
Brian