1752805 Members
5378 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where are the Channels???

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Where are the Channels???

Hello all. I have a Proliant 7000 with a SMART-2dh RAID controller. I have one cage connected to this controller through the internal connector powering 4 18gb hard drives. I know my controller has 2 channels with the capacity for 7 drives per channel. My question - is one channel internal only through the internal connector and the other channel is through the external connector only? I want to connect another internal empty cage to a controller and need to know if I can somehow connect it to the current smart-2dh or do I need to install another RAID controller.

Thanks,

Eric
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes you are right that the other channel is the external connector. Since these are narrow channels you can only have 8 devices per bus (the controller is one). I had a similar problem recently. I took an external 68 pin scsi cable that was about 6 inches long (from and old disk array i think). I also grabbed a cable out of an old proliant 850r. The 850r cable was a normal intern ribbon at one end and an external connector that would bolt to the outside of the case. I used the 6 inch external connect with one end in the controller and the other end on the connector. If this is in a prodcution machine i would be careful though. I only use these in Desktops and old servers that are converted to workstations. When using both channels at the same time there seems to be a small amount of delay. Its almost as if the array accellerator has to be dedicated to one channel, so it spends time switching back and forth.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Sorry, i was thinking of the wrong controller. These arent narrow. everything else i said applys though!