New Discussion юеВ

Where is avalailable VDISK0 space?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kurz
Frequent Advisor

Where is avalailable VDISK0 space?

Hi,

on one of our EVAs an additional LUN has been added.

In all our disk groups, there is only one disk size, and there are VRAID5 volumes everywhere only. We have CommandView 7.0.

On all of the other disk groups (also on the other EVA), the occupancy and the available VRAID0 space add up to the total capacity, as shown for the disk group. I assume it should always be that way???

For one disk group, this is not the case. The total capacity is correct. Also the occupancy is probably correct, because if I sum up the capacity of the VRAID5 LUNs and multiply by 1,25 I get about a number that almost matches the occupancy value.

So the VRAID0 available space is too low.

Any ideas?

Is there some way to force the EVA to resynchronize these numbers with the actual LUN configuration?

Which configuration objects might take space off the VRAID0 space, if not LUNs?

regards,

M. Kurz
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Where is avalailable VDISK0 space?

You don't say what model EVA you have or what version of VCS/XCS you're running, but...

There was a known issue in XCS 6.000 where remaining free capacity would be incorrectly reported in a disk group if you had ever removed a disk from the group. A controller re-sync fixes the problem. Controller re-sync can be done with the system up, but should be done at a relatively quiet time. It's done from the field service page in command view. Log a call with HP to get them to tell you exactly how to do it - I don't recall the hex code for the re-sync command.
Kurz
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your answer,

we have 2x EVA4000. Where do I find the VCS/XCS information?

In CommandView, it says:
System
Type: HSV200
Version: 6100

I hope this is the information you requested.

thanks,

M. Kurz
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

OK - you're at XCS version 6.100 which is supposed to have fixed that problem. You might still try the controller re-sync though since it can be done with the system up and running.
Kurz
Frequent Advisor

HP Support helped me to find the reason.

Although you'd think that in
Disk Space Properties -
Available VRAID0 Space
you would see the available VRAID0 space for the whole disk group, this is not what you see.

What you see is the available VRAID0 space for the NEXT LUN that you might want to create.

Because LUNs can't be larger than 2 TB, if your available space in the disk group is more than 2 TB, the display shows 2047,99 GB.

I was confused because for 5 of 6 disk groups the calculation worked ...