New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which MSA to choose?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AndreaMennini
Occasional Advisor

Which MSA to choose?

Hi,

I have the need to add to a DL380G4 a relevant quantity of storage, say 600 GB as just to begin, and I need also to expand it in a near future, so I'm thinking about adding a MSAxx to it.

The server runs Win2k3 and is a Oracle DB server, and on the MSA there should be oracle datafile, in other words performance is a must.

My question is: which MSA should I add?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

There are so many...

If you want to connect different (more than one) servers, have a look at the SAN connected MSA's (MSA1500/1000)

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/san_arrays/index.html

Otherwise look at the SAS/SATA or SCSI enclosures (MSA20/30/50/60/70):

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/drive_enclosures/index.html

Performance will depend on the number of drives and the technology (SAS/SATA) - compare the specs and decide.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Also bear in mind that despite their rather grand titles, some of the products in the MSA range are little more than disk shelves.

For example the "Modular Smart Array" MSA30 is just a 14 bay SCSI shelf and needs to be connected to a SmartArray controller in the host to make it smart or an array... Read the specs carefully !

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
AndreaMennini
Occasional Advisor

No, I don't need to connect more that one server. I just need to expand the actual server, whose disk tray is full.

Talking about MSAx0, and particulary MSA30 and MSA50, which of the two is the best performer?

Is MSA30 as fast as internal servers disk, assuming to have the same kind of disks both on the server and on the MSA30?

Thanks
AndreaMennini
Occasional Advisor

Yes Rob,

you're right but, since I need to add storage to an existing server, not to have more than one server connected to the storage, it what you're correctly saying a problem?

BTW, keeping in mind my main issue, i.e. I have an Oracle server running underneath, so performance is a TOP issue,

1) Do you think that a MSAx0 is a correct solution? Particulary, I'm thinking about a MSA30.

2) Which controller do you suggest for it?

Thanks

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's not a problem, I just wanted to make it clear that the performance of the shelf will depend on what controller it's attached to.

For the MSA30 you will probably want to connect it up to a SmartArray 6400 controller in your DL380. For the MSA50 you'd probably need the P800.

Personally I'd probably go with the MSA30 as it's a more mature product...

Cheers,

Rob
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

AndreaM,

One additional thought to keep in mind is the drive speeds and capacities. The MSA30 will allow you to install 146G 15k rpm drives, and 300GB 10k drives, whereas with the MSA50, the largest drive you can connect is 146K 10k. If your DL380G4 does not have a PCI-E slot, you will have to use the P600 Controller with the MSA50, as this is the PCI-X model.

Neal