Disk Enclosures
1752777 Members
6420 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Why does nobody bother enabling Degraded Performance Optimization, Inconsistency Repair, ....

chaos-prevails
Occasional Contributor

Why does nobody bother enabling Degraded Performance Optimization, Inconsistency Repair, ....

Hello,

I have multiple P400/P412/P800 smart array controllers, and I am now in the process re-initializing one of them. So I had a look on configuration options, and came accross 4 parameters which nobody seems to bother to touch:

Degraded Performance Optimization: Disabled
Inconsistency Repair Policy: Disabled
Wait for Cache Room: Disabled
Surface Analysis Inconsistency Notification: Disabled

Probably because they are nowhere really explained? I only found references to those parameters in the Array Configuration Reference Guide. However, no explanation was added.

Can somebody explain why they are never brought up, and what they actually do?

I was specifically looking at scrubbing, described as "Dynamic Sector Repairing continually performs background surface scans on the hard disk drives during inactive periods and automatically remaps bad sectors, ensuring data integrity" in the Quick references.

Do I have e. g. to enable "Inconsistency Repair Policy" or 'Surface Analysis Inconsistency Notification" on my controller to have scrubbing functionality?

kind regards,

1 REPLY 1
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Re: Why does nobody bother enabling Degraded Performance Optimization, Inconsistency Repair, ....

These settings are Advanced tuning Options enabled with HPE Smart Array Advanced Licenses.

These are not needed in normal performance tuning and smart array featural functions.

Example:

Modifying advanced controller settings

Procedure

1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > controller > Configure ControllerSettings > Advanced Controller Settings.

1. In the Advanced Controller Settings screen, modify any of the following settings:

Setting Description

Degraded Mode Performance Optimization

Used to tune controller performance for video applications and requires the installation of a valid license key. Options are Enabled or Disabled.

Physical Drive Request Elevator Sort

Controls the behavior of the controller cache write Elevator sort algorithm.

This option is used to tune controller performance for video applications and requires the installation of a valid license key. Options are Enabled or Disabled.

Alternate Inconsistency Repair Policy

This option is used to tune the controller performance for Video applications and requires the installation of a valid license key. Options are Enable or Disable.

Few of options are Factory set and not for end user changes. Hence there is no Mention of these features on any User Guides.

The features below are enabled by default and need not be enabled separately:

The following features offer detection of possible failures before they occur, allowing preventive action to be taken:

• S.M.A.R.T.: Self-Monitoring and Reporting Technology first developed at HPE detects possible hard disk failure before it occurs, allowing replacement of the hard drive before a real failure occurs.
  • Drive Parameter Tracking monitors drive operational parameters, predicting failure and notifying the administrator.
  • Dynamic Sector Repairing continually performs background surface scans on the hard disk drives during inactive periods and automatically remaps bad sectors, ensuring data integrity.
  • Smart Array Cache Tracking monitors integrity of controller cache, allowing pre-failure preventative maintenance.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo