New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wrong capacity on EVA5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jiri Koutnik
Advisor

Wrong capacity on EVA5000

Hello,
I have got 46 x 72GB disks on EVA5000 with 4.07 firmware. It shows only 2608 GB as Total capacity. I use Single disk drive failure protection.
Any guess whats wrong with EVA5k ?
Why does it show incorrect capacity ?

thanx for any help,
Jiri
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you already check if all disks are grouped?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jiri Koutnik
Advisor

Its on the group, it shows Total disks correctly, but their Total capacity is wrong, should be something arround 2.980 GB instead of 2.608 GB. None Ungroup disk.

Jiri
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

What you are seeing is correct.

If you look at the disk group properties, you will see on the right hand side of the properties the total capacity used (Occupancy) and on the left side the total capacity (Capacity).

Since you seem to have more than 2TB os space available to determine the total capacity of a disk group you need to subtract these two from each other.

To get the total available capacity for the whole EVA you can go to the EVA properties page and it will show you there.

The reason it shows you 2047.99 as the available size is because that is the maximum allowable size of a LUN on an EVA at this time.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Jiri Koutnik
Advisor

Yeah, I know about 2TB limit, perhaps it a bit confusing for you, but the problem is Total capacity of the physical disk group, which it should consider just number of physical disk drives multiple with their size and subtract capacity using for Disk drive failure protection + virtualization, all together is in my point of view Total disk group capacity.
Try to count this for 46 x 72GB diskdrives.

Jiri
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, you should have:

(46*72.8 - 2*72.8) * 0.93 = 2980 GB approx

The used space is correct?
Did you add or remove disks recently?

Everytime I've seen the space on the diskgroup reported incorrectly, it was solved performing a resynchronzation of the controllers (but that must be done by HP personnel).
Jiri Koutnik
Advisor

Hi,

yes I moved some drives within 1 min from one position to another in the rack.
Is this why now I can see the incorrect numbers ?
Is the solution to do resynch controllers ?

thanx alot,

Jiri
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, this can happen when inserting/removing disks.
In all the cases I have seen an HP engineer had to go there and issue the command to perform a controller resync.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I misunderstood the state problem. After you re-explained it, I agree with vcespon. You need a controller re-synch. In the future, you should not remove and reinsert a drive so quickly. You need toi give the controller a couple of minutes to properly see the disk is gone and start the leveling process. Then if you re-insert the drive, the controllers will see the drive and restart the levelling process. In the end you will have the proper size reported.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Jiri Koutnik
Advisor

Yes, restart one controller followed by restarting the appliance was the right solution. Jiri