New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP 256 Software Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Emil Henry
Regular Advisor

XP 256 Software Question

Hello!

We are getting a donation of a XP256. What software (minimum) is needed for us to use the XP256? Due to budget cuts the university is counting every cents. Please advice.

Reagrds,

Emil
9 REPLIES 9
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor
Solution

To install the disk array into the host system, ensure that the environment
confirms to these requirements:
├В HP Surestore Disk Array XP with SCSI ports (XP256) or Fibre Channel ports
The disk array Fibre Channel port must have a Fibre Channel loop ID set that is unique within the Fibre Channel loop. All ports are set to a default of 0 by the factory.
├В Windows 2000 system/server
├В Windows 2000 operating system
├В (XP256 only) SCSI adapters
Install all utilities and tools that are provided with the adapters. For
information about adapter driver requirements, see the product
documentation for the adapter or contact the vendor.
├В SCSI terminators
├В (Recommended) HP Surestore Command View XP software
├В (Optional) HP Surestore Performance Monitor XP software
XP256
The XP256 disk array supports differential SCSI or Fibre Channel adapters.

Or You can also install in on windows NT4.0 serve
I'll sleep when i am dead.
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Emil Henry
Regular Advisor

Hello Shaikh!

Thanks for the info. The impression that I get from your post is that the HP Surestore Command View XP software is recommended, but is not essential. As the software could cost a lot, we are trying to see what is the minimum we need to run this. Please clarify.

Regards,

Emil
Emil Henry
Regular Advisor

Hello!

Also, does anyone know what people are paying for support from HP for the XP256? Are there any known good companies out there who support this device other then HP.

Regards,

Emil
Christopher Rupnik
Valued Contributor

Emil,
I believe your question is

I have an XP256, and I need to know what software or licenses I require on the XP256 itself to make it functional.

Ok, assuming that is the question, you will want the following

If you want to control the XP256 remotely, and assign luns to different hosts without standing in front of the SVP (the little laptop inside the machine), then you will need to purchase Remote Control XP. Command View XP is NOT recommended for XP256 due to performance concerns.

If you want to be able to manage the luns and assign them to particular hosts, you need to purchase Secure Lun MGR XP.

If you want to enable the ability to have mirror copies of the LUNS assigned to alternate hosts (business copy), then you need to purchase Business Copy XP

Note. All this software is licensed directly to the XP256, and required a certified technician to install.

The XP256 is a great device, and extremely flexbile, however, it is enterprise storage, and therefore extremely complex to operate and maintain and cannot be treated like a little stand alone array. It requires proper maintenance, and proper training. You will be disappointed if you attempt to simply run the array yourself, without appropriate technical skills to operate it at it fullest

HP naturally is the best source for support, and their support is excellent. Their engineers go through extensive skill training, and will be able to deliver performance and options that you might not be able to.

Good Luck. Thats a very nice donation. Enjoy!
Emil Henry
Regular Advisor

Hi Christopher!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. A few questions.

- I get the impression that the SVP is for HP engineers only. I don't really need to assign LUN's from remote. If I can do it in our Server Room that is fine.
- Sadly, I am new to RAID and SAN's. What can I say. Universities can be pretty poor and lean, especially State Uni.'s. I assume that I do need Secure Lun MGR XP as I would want to carve it up and assign to different hosts.
- No mirroring needed
- I am thinking the same thing that is very complex and am getting quotes from HP for support and software.

- About the donation, you should see the tax-writeoff that they are getting. :-)

Regards,

Emil
Emil Henry
Regular Advisor

Hi Christopher!

Also, If the XP256 is curved up for different hosts, can you still do a backup of it so that the backup device sees it as a single device?

Regards,

Emil
Christopher Rupnik
Valued Contributor

Hi again,
Yes, the SVP is typically reserved for HP engineers. Of course, it can be used to allocate luns. It is not the official solution, but will work fine for what you require.

As for the backups. The hosts will see the drives that you carve up as luns with a various size on the emulation type you choose. Open-E will make the luns 14GB each, for instance, so that windows hosts would see a 14Gb drive, from which you format the way you want. The backup solution you use will work with whatever method you are using to backup the C: drive for instance.

Take care

Chris

ps, Don't forget to assign points to people who are helpful.
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Hello Emil

Some more inputs:

1. Mangaing XP storage is complex and generally done by qualified engineer. However customer need to know how this entire box works and requirement need to be told to the engineer who can configured XP256 as told.

2. XP256 has aged. The latest offering from HP/Hitachi are XP1024/XP128. Check on the support front on XP256.

3. XP256 disks do fail frequently. One need an ISD/telephone line connected to SVP which dials out to HP stress center in case of any component failure.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.